• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Flickering appears after color correction

#1 Emericlb
Hi there,

I have an issues with some of my timelapses, usually day timelapses and I don't know what it is.

When I shoot during the day, and that there are a lot of things moving in the front, like people or car, the timelpase ends up ok with no color correction. But as soon as I add some contrast or play with highlights, shadows and clarity, a flickering appears on the timelapse, and not everywhere, only at some places in the pictures. It's usually when there is something or somebody passing close to the camera, or that the light change a bit (overcast) , this is really strange cause this flickering isn't there without color correction, so why does it comes right after?

And of course the LRT Deflicker can't fixe that cause it's not normal flickering, it's only on some areas of the pictures, sometimes dark areas or top of the pictures when it's cloudy.

Not easy to explain, if someone now what I am talking about, let me know, really need help!

I shoot with a Canon t6s in RAW, M Mode all the time.
#2 Gunther
Yes, this is unfortunately a normal behaviour of Lightroom - some of the tools work context sensitive - so basically Lightroom applies the editing differently on images with different content.
If you have massive changes from one image to another (for example a car passing in the front) you will see this, if you have only subtile changes, you won't.

Tools known for behaving like this are Clarity, Dehaze and to a certain amount Whites and Blacks. Those are the tools where the effect is worst, others might introduce a bit too.

So two things to do:
1) Avoid shooting time lapse whith so many changing subjects (they won't look smooth anyway)
2) Use and ND Filter to bring down the changes and blur the movement
3) Avoid strong use of the tools that I've mentioned above

I'm moving this thread to the faq section.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 rick kloekke
I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't find info about this problem anywhere... I am also having the problem of 'local flickering', despite I used an ND filter to blur out the people ice skating..

Found that pulling down the highlights and then increasing the whites is one of the biggest issues with my sequences..

Thanks for your answer Gunther, helped me a lot with my question about how this could happen! Perhaps there is a solution already, if so, would love to hear it!? For now I can only think to do minor adjustments in lightroom and later in premiere doing some extra color grading..

Rick
#4 Gunther
If the context sensitive Lightroom tools are the reason, then there is no real other way then use them less. You can use the parametric tone curve instead. In real life it mostly not a problem. There's always a way around and it doesn't happen so often. Dehaze is the tool that should be avoided in most situations. But other "normal" editing is mostly fine.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: