• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pro Timer, any options except Qdslr?

#1 Gerax
Hi,

Pentax shooter here so no luck with Qdslr...
I have a Pine motion controller and carbon fiber slider.
Looking into getting the Pro Timer but I’m a bit hesitant as far as ramping for those cool holy grail shots I’d like to try.
Are there any other options as far as apps go for automating a bulb ramping? Can it be done with the pro timer alone on a reliable way for a smooth result?
Thanx
#2 Ralph
Hi,
The Pro Timer is an interval trigger that can trigger both the camera and the pine controller.
However, it does not control the exposure settings of the camera. However, since you can achieve longer black times with the Pro Timer than with an industrially produced interval trigger, you could manually readjust the camera.

If there is an app that takes over the function of QDDB and is compatible with Pentax, I can't answer you.
#3 Gerax
Thanx for the reply.
If I'm not mistaken, what I understand from the manual is that the Pro Timer can change the interval with the ramping feature, but I guess I'd still have to adjust the exposure time manually (that's what QDSLR does automatically), right? I wonder if such a feature can be added in a FW update, so that also exposure time can be programmed and automated, and the two could be possibily linked.
#4 Gunther
It wouldn't make sense to add exposure ramping tot the LRT Pro Timer, because, in order to do decent Holy Grail Shooting, you need to evaluate the histograms of the previews, to know when to change the camera settings. The LRT PT has no access to the images that the camera shots.
I'm afraid, for Pentax, you would need to manually adjust the camera settings - but at least with the LRT Pro Timer, you'd have the maximum time to do this, because the intervalometer doesn't block the camera.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 Gerax
To be honest, there's a third party app developed as an external control for Pentax cameras and it kind of works, allowing to change exposure parameters remotely via wifi (the K1 is wifi equipped). "The hassle is to baby-sit" through the whole shooting but I guess one would do the same even with an automatic bulb ramper...
Hopefully, being developed by one guy over at the Pentax forum, it will be open to features addition and improvements...so far it has been very slow.
The Timelapse + ramper looks cool, the last time I talked to the developer he was willing to include Pentax compatibility but I haven't heard from him in quite a long time...
#6 Gunther
Yes, the TL+ View is a good all in one device, the only thing that prevents me from using it, is the long dark time (6 secs in my tests), and the very small preview.
As a comparison: with the LRT Pro Timer and qDDB I can get dark times <1 sec.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: