• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Problem with bracketing on Nikon D610 - wrong shutter speed

#1 rgames
Hello all - I'm new to timelapse and am glad to have found this resource!

I'm trying DSLRDashboard and am having an issue with bracketing during time lapse shots. When I change the base shutter speed, I select the required speed but the app always changes it to some other selection. It seems it usually sets the speed to 1/4 of my selection, i.e. if I pick 1/15 it sets the base exposure to 1/60 and brackets off that reference, not the 1/15 setting I chose.

When I use the +/- buttons it also exhibits strange behavior - it jumps in very large increments and both the + and - buttons increase the shutter speed. ISO seems to work fine.

Everything works fine if the camera is not set to do exposure bracketing.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a solution?

Thanks in advance,

rgames
#2 hubaiz
Did you enable the 'auto holy grail' function?
If yes then it will not work with bracketing, as it analyses the taked images and the over/under exposure images will trigger shutter speed/iso change.
The +/- button in LrTimelapse screen increase/decrease the shutter/iso by the step defined under the controls (1/3, 1/2, 2/3, 1 etc)

Also did you use the application timelapse function or an external intervalometer?
Did you use the application 'custom bracketing' or the camera built in bracketing?

(2014-01-25, 09:39)rgames Wrote: Hello all - I'm new to timelapse and am glad to have found this resource!

I'm trying DSLRDashboard and am having an issue with bracketing during time lapse shots. When I change the base shutter speed, I select the required speed but the app always changes it to some other selection. It seems it usually sets the speed to 1/4 of my selection, i.e. if I pick 1/15 it sets the base exposure to 1/60 and brackets off that reference, not the 1/15 setting I chose.

When I use the +/- buttons it also exhibits strange behavior - it jumps in very large increments and both the + and - buttons increase the shutter speed. ISO seems to work fine.

Everything works fine if the camera is not set to do exposure bracketing.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and found a solution?

Thanks in advance,

rgames
#3 rgames
Hello hubaiz, thanks for the reply.

I am using an external intervalometer and am not using the holy grail function. All I'm using DSLRDashboard for is to change shutter speed and ISO so I don't have to touch the camera.

The ISO buttons work fine but the shutter speed is messed up as I described above. Both the + and - buttons drop the shutter speed and do so in very large increments, so you hit either one a couple times and it's maxed out at 1/4000 s.

I seem to be OK if I use the shutter speed selection button (i.e. not the +/- buttons) and select a value that is 4x what I actually want. The app then applies its 1/4 multiplier and I get the value I wanted. Requires you to do a little bit of math but it seems to work so far.

rgames
#4 rgames
OK - I figured it out.

I have to set the exposure sequence to METER - OVER - UNDER.

I had it set to UNDER - METER - OVER and that was causing the odd behavior.

Might be worth a tweak in the app to make sure that potential problem is avoided!

rgames

...also check out: