• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

problem with too many 2* and 3* keyframes

Question
#1 chasg
Hi Gunther,

I'm editing a sunset to milky way timelapse, and I've got so many 2* and 3* keyframes (one after another), that, by the time LRT gets to the next 4* keyframe, the light levels have changed too much for a smooth transition. I'll attach a screenshot so you can see what I mean (please ignore the very large spikes in brightness, that's when a car's headlights came into view, I'll take care of them manually in LR later).

Is there any way I can fix this problem? All of my 4* keyframes are edited, and the sequence will look really nice if I can keep the program on track between them :-)

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Chas

[Image: http://www.bothhemispheres.com/galleries...frames.png]
#2 Gunther
If there is no space between lots of subsequent 2*3* keyframes, the holy grail wizard might fail. Additionally you cannot set the 4* keyframes as you experienced. In those (rare) cases, I'd recommend to not use the holy grail wizard at all (then you can get rid of the 2*/3* keyframes too) and use only regular keyframing and the visual deflicker with some refine passes to smoothen everything.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 chasg
(2017-04-18, 08:20)gwegner Wrote: If there is no space between lots of subsequent 2*3* keyframes, the holy grail wizard might fail. Additionally you cannot set the 4* keyframes as you experienced. In those (rare) cases, I'd recommend to not use the holy grail wizard at all (then you can get rid of the 2*/3* keyframes too) and use only regular keyframing and the visual deflicker with some refine passes to smoothen everything.

Thanks  for the reply Gunther, very good info. 

What I did end up doing was deleting a few 2/3* pairs in the middle of all those long strings of exposure changes, and then I slipped more 4* keyframes into those gaps, and dealt with the resulting exposure change flicker in the deflicker module (with many refine passes!). 

I usually try hard to avoid long strings of 2*3* keyframes, but I'm not too experienced with holy grail/milky way timelapses yet, and the 40-ish second interval forced DSLRDashboard to make more exposure changes than I'm used to (next time perhaps I'll set DSLDashboard to make changes over full stops, instead of my usual 1/3 stops).

The final timelapse is here: https://vimeo.com/213665737 I have still a lot to learn about starlapses. fyi: those big spikes in the LRT screenshot weren't fixable, they were car headlights shining directly at the camera, so I had to take them out, and that meant jumps in the sequence :-(

Thanks again for all the help.
#4 Gunther
Looks good now. But next time go for 20 secs exposure max, 23 or 24 secs intervals, 40 ist way too long. Then you get a smoother appearance and speeding up in post is always possible.
#5 chasg
Thanks Gunther! I'll work to keep my intervals down, but this was only a 2.8 lens (at 2.8), and I didn't want to push the ISO too high, so I pushed shutter speed and interval instead :-)

I was shooting the MW again with a f/1.4 lens the other night, I was able to use much shorter intervals (too bad there aren't any 14mm f/1.4 lenses).
#6 Gunther
I often find 14mm a bit too wide for milkyway - that's why I love the Sigma 20mm f/1.4 Art for this kind of stuff.

...also check out: