• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Processing an .AVI format Time-lapse

#1 rodrigo
Dear All,

Up to now I have been taking my time-lapses with my Canon 5D, but now I am interested in doing a longtime project of an apartment block building which will commence soon. 
Because of the length of the project as well as the camera been out in all weathers, I decided to get a small weatherproof camera that takes time-lapses, the output from this camera is an .avi format. 
I would like to know if there is a tutorial on how to process this type of file with the LRtimelapse software.

Thank you very much for any info that you could provide me with.

Kind regards,

Rodrigo
#2 Gunther
You could try running it through the video importer (tab video workflow) to separate them into jpgs. But I fear the quality won't be very good and the editing possibilities very limited. Is recommend to use a camera that shoots stills, even a gopro will most likely deliver much better results.

Mobile via Tapatalk.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 rodrigo
Hi Gunther, I hope you having a good time over there. I did managed to create something using the method you suggested but, well as you said the quality of the jpg's weren't very good so I have sent the camera back. 
I ordered an Olympus TG4 that is weather proof and takes RAW images, but after ordering it I realized that it only take a sequence of 99 photos max and it does not accept and intervalator control. Any suggestions?.

kind regards,

Rodrigo
#4 Gunther
Send it back? ;-) I've no idea why camera manufactures cripple their cameras on purpose...

Mobile via Tapatalk.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 c_joerg
(2017-06-11, 13:10)rodrigo Wrote: Hi Gunther, I hope you having a good time over there. I did managed to create something using the method you suggested but, well as you said the quality of the jpg's weren't very good so I have sent the camera back. 
I ordered an Olympus TG4 that is weather proof and takes RAW images, but after ordering it I realized that it only take a sequence of 99 photos max and it does not accept and intervalator control. Any suggestions?.

kind regards,

Rodrigo

In this case, I would buy a Canon Powershot, which is CHDK capable, with using underwater housings. Here is an example I created with the Powershot G1x and CHDK.

[size=small][font=Calibri][size=small][font=Calibri]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF9PnmIcRQc[/font][/size][/font][/size]

[size=small][font=Calibri][size=small][font=Calibri]https://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php[/font][/size][/font][/size]
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#6 rodrigo
Hi c_joerg,
Thanks for your kind reply, job well done the sunset is superb. Today I spend most of the day looking at cameras and decided on the Fuji finepix S1. It shoot Raw, it is timelapse friendly, accept intervalometer and it is weatherproof. The sample photos look quite good. Do you know if CHDK is compatible with this type of camera?, I have never use it.

Kind regards,

Rodrigo
#7 c_joerg
(2017-06-13, 00:55)rodrigo Wrote: decided on the Fuji finepix S1. It shoot Raw, it is timelapse friendly, accept intervalometer and it is weatherproof. The sample photos look quite good. Do you know if CHDK is compatible with this type of camera?, I have never use it.

No, CHDK supports only Canon Powershot and EOS M3/M10.

But CHDK provides you also DNG RAW on cameras, which normally have no RAW.

But the Fuji is only protected by splash water, not really weatherproof.
#8 rodrigo
Hi c_joerg,
Thanks for you reply, I managed to contact Fuji and as you kindly pointed it out it is not designed to be left out for long time in all weathers, only showerproof or water splashes. Managed to cancel the order so it is back to the drawing board.
I will check your suggestions and ...keep looking ;-)

kind regards,

Rodrigo
#9 c_joerg
(2017-06-13, 15:36)rodrigo Wrote: Thanks for you reply, I managed to contact Fuji and as you kindly pointed it out it is not designed to be left out for long time in all weathers, only showerproof or water splashes. Managed to cancel the order so it is back to the drawing board.
I will check your suggestions and ...keep looking ;-)
Especially for the canon powershots one finds much underwater housing. As a weather housing you can also buy a defective used housing.
I have underwater housing for the Canon G1x, S45, S110 and IXUS500. I will also buy one for my EOS M3.
Here is a list of supported cams:
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ

...also check out: