• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Proper setup for exposure changes during daytime time lapse sequence

#1 dee914
I am using qDslrDashboard with LRTimelapse. I have made several successful dusk and dawn Holy Grail sequences. I am interested in a creating a sequence during the day starting out in bright sun. The scene will then darken considerably as a thunderstorm moves over the areas, then brighten again to sun as the storm passes. As I understand it, the Holy Grail option is only for dusk and dawn transitions. How do I set up my camera and qDslrDashboard to automatically correct the exposures as the storm moves through the area, then brightens again afterward. Will qDslrDashboard make these changes automatically? If so, what options do I select to set this up? Or do I set the camera on "automatic" and let the camera figure out the exposure changes. I've been searching the Forum but am unable to find the answer. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you.
#2 Gunther
You can either set the camera in A mode, but you will lack control then.
If you need the best results, use qDslrDashboard. Then you have multiple options:
1) Do the ramping manually as you need it
2) Switch the Direction via Sunrise/Sunset manuall and Turn on/off Auto Holy Grail automatically
3) Use the "Auto Direction" feature in the Settings on the "LRT" page which will automatically switch between Sunset/Sunrise. This however might sometimes switch back and forth, you should test it before if it works for a scenario like yours.

Personally I would use a combination of 1 and 2 if it was an important shooting, that would give me maximum control.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 dee914
Hello Gunther. Thank you for the quick reply to my question. So it appears that qDslrDashboard is unable to automatically adjust the exposure during lighting changed during the day - only in a sunrise or sunset scenario. I thought that might be the case, but was not certain. It would be very helpful if the software could do so. Ramping the exposure manually takes a considerable amount of time for a long time lapse. Maybe this feature will be available in a future release of qDslrDashboard. Thanks again for the very helpful information.
#4 Gunther
?? I told you 4 options how you could do it. The "Auto Direction" feature would do it fully automated with longer term changes, as it's supposed to.

Consider that ramping for Day to Night is different from a short term "metering" exposure change like cameras do in A mode. Auto Holy Grail is designed for long term and steady change of exposure as you would usually get if for day to night or night to day transitions.
If you want something with short term changes, use the Camera in A-Mode.
Apart from this, usually during the day, with mostly 12-14 stops of dynamic range in Raw-Modes cameras are pretty able to capture the Dynamic Range of sceneries even without changing the exposure at all.
I think for your special demands you will have to experiment with the tools you know now to see what works for you.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: