• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Prores vs H264 contrast

#1 mcrtchly
I've recently tried to export to Prores for better quality and found the Prores 422 output gives a very washed out look (low contrast).  Prores 444 (Ultra high quality) and H264 is fine, giving similar results to the original LRT rendered TIFF.  H264 video gives a similar contrast to the original TIFF.  Any reason for this?

I'm using LRTTimelapse 4.3 Pro without motion blur. 

LRT Render TIFF

Prores 422 video

Prores 444 video

H264 video

Martin
#2 Gunther
444 and 422 are different color spaces, differences can be due to a different interpretation by the player too.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 mcrtchly
I think that you are correct in that the video player greatly affects the colours.  I brought the three clips into Premiere and exported as a windowed video.  Not much different between Prores 420 and Prores 444, but H264 looks a bit lighter now.   The Prores timelapses that I have done with LRTTimelapse seem to have less Jpeg artefacts that H264. I'm generally product 4K timelapses for combination with 4K (shot in H264 format).  What would your recommended quality and Prores settings be?

I've upload a 1080p video of the various outputs to Youtube

[Video: https://youtu.be/wgjffAVG808]
#4 Gunther
It's hard for me to see any difference in the youtube video...
I normally use, what the customer demands - when I do my own projects I normally use ProRes 422 and cut in Premiere Pro.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: