• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Protection from sun damage?

#1 shock
What precautions do you take to protect your camera from sun damage?  I gather it's certainly possible - see LensRentals 2017 solar eclipse damage.

I want to ensure my mirrorless camera is OK when shooting sunrise/sunset time lapses.

Many factors impact the intensity of sun's rays on your sensor.
  • sun's height - most intense when overhead, less at horizon
  • aperture - lets in more or less light
  • mirror/shutter - blocks sensor (EVF live view may leave it open)
  • shutter speed - time exposed to sun
  • interval and number of shots - affects time to dissipate heat energy from exposure
  • lens filters - ND lets in less light, UV reflects some wavelengths
  • lens coating - may also reflect some UV?
  • focal length - size of sun on sensor, same intensity?
Thanks!
#2 shock
In the accompanying LensRentals guide to photographing the solar eclipse, they issue a warning:

Quote:Do not photograph the sun without a solar filter on your lens. Using a long zoom lens and pointing your camera at the sun for extended periods can overheat the interior.

I'm concerned these solar filters are for dedicated sun photos, not for general sunset/sunrise landscape photography - seems they will block out far too much light.
#3 Gunther
Shooting a solar exclipse is something very different from a regular sunset in timelapse. I've never heard of anyone burning his shutter or something else when shooting a sunset. But I'm speaking for DSLR only, where the Mirror is flipped for quite some time between exposures. I don't have experience with mirrorless cameras.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: