• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#1 belka
Hello,
I bought this device via amazon as recommended several weeks ago, a bundle with an advised connecting cable and tested several features as changing settings or running "Timelapse (M)" routine on this device - all was fine.
On Wednesday I had been out again running a timelapse session after a long time again but experienced a bad thing: ProTimer was running as wanted but my camera didn't response?!
Camera: Panasonic Lumix DC G91. And yes, the cable was orientated correctly.
Camera settings: M mode, exposure time 13 s
ProTimer settings: Timelapse (M) mode, interval time 3 s, unlimited.

I was then in the need to switch to my old intervalometer and all ran smoothly again.
What is going on?

Thank you.
#2 Gunther
Could you check again, that the cable was inserted correctly into Port 1? It must do "click" and be inserted all the way.
Then try again. Check that AF is turned off on the camera.
Also see the first faq: https://lrtimelapse.com/lrtpt/faq/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Cymro
If your interval is 3s and exposure time is 13s you will only trigger when the exposure has completed. You should set your interval to at least 13.5s and probably more like 14 or 15s. to give the camera time to save the image and get ready for the next exposure
#4 Gunther
Oh, didn't see that in the original post. That way it can't work.
Of course the interval needs to be longer than the exposure time set in camera.
#5 belka
Thanks for a fast reply!

>Could you check again, that the cable was inserted correctly into Port 1? It must do "click" and be inserted all the way.
I did, and made sure it was completely inserted but nothing.

>Check that AF is turned off on the camera.
It was and is always but nothing changed.

>Also see the first faq: https://lrtimelapse.com/lrtpt/faq/
I've had already before and don't find a single hint what I could/should set yet.
My DSLM Standby time / Wakeup Time setting was set at minimum of 5 s. Now I understand it should be exposure + interval time, hier 13 s + 3 s = 16 s.
But even when set at minimum only I should release a single/first photo?!

What now?
#6 belka
Sorry, didn't get aware of before replying.

>Of course the interval needs to be longer than the exposure time set in camera.

What is that?? For years I'm working with exposure times >= 11 s and interval times of about 3 s when using a common wired Intervalometer. 8-)

EDIT: I tested again with exposure of 2.5 s and interval of 5 s but nothing has changed camera is not responding in any way.
#7 Gunther
Common sense in the Timelapse world is that Interval is Exposure + Dark Time. :-)
Otherwise changing exposures would accelerate/deaccelerate the timelapse, that's definitely not desired in most cases... Think about it!
#8 belka
>Common sense in the Timelapse world is that Interval is Exposure + Dark Time. :-)
It's not helpful for my story. One can call this as one wishes the result is the same: over years my exposure time was always x times longer than my interval time (dark time). With the result that my resulting video clip runs as long as possible.
By the way: there is a certain confusion in the terms - I quote you: "Of course the interval needs to be longer than the exposure time set in camera."
Even the manufacturers of intervalometers use different terms for the same context ...

Helpful was a hint on my problem: ProTimer is running but the camera is not responding. Even not when exposure time is way shorter than interval (dark) time.
I followed all hints given so far but no solution.
#9 belka
Thanks for your time!

>If your interval is 3s and exposure time is 13s you will only trigger when the exposure has completed.
Of course, and my camera has triggered all the time successfully with an exposure time way longer than interval (dark) time.

>You should set your interval to at least 13.5s and probably more like 14 or 15s. to give the camera time to save the image and get ready for the next exposure
I assume you are assuming the camera is running on the "Noise Reduction" option?
No, I disabled this option in the camera. I'm taking advice from Frank Späth, a longtime photography journalist. You can also do this by post-processing the photos with external software.

I already tried "blindly" to run the ProTimer with an interval (dark) time longer than the exposure time, but no difference: the camera doesn't react at all.
What else could you try?
#10 Gunther
I think first of all we need to figure out, if your timer has a hardware defect or if it's some configuration issue.
Please do a simple test:
Reset the settings on the LRT PRO Timer via Settings / Factory Reset.

Set the camera to M Mode, 1/100 Sec Exposure, AF: Off
Connect the cable to Port 1 of the Timer and the camera release port.
Go to Timelapse (M), set an interval of 4 secs and start the timelapse - does the camera release?
If not, change the cable to port 2 of the LRT PT.
Try the same thing: does the camera release?

...also check out: