• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

qdd v0.1.6 on Andriod 4.4.4 with 6D always crashes after some shots

#1 stonebone
I use a Nexus 7 (2012) tablet on stock andriod 4.4.4 with qdd v0.1.6 together with a canon 6D. However, every time I want to shoot a holygrail sequence, qdd crashes after a certain time, sometimes after ca. 70 shots, sometimes after 20 shots, sometimes it goes up to 200 shots and then the tablet tells me "qdslrdashboard has quit". I use Magic Lantern on the camera as the intervalometer, since it gives problems with my canon intervalometer (shutter half press issue).
I used different intervals, dark time always 2 or 3 seconds, I tried sunset and sunrise, old and new canon method, I used the 6D internal WiFi and also USB (which only worked after rooting)...always the same behaviour..crashing after some shots.
As a hint, I can say that the crash seems to happen when the shutter / iso change is happening more frequently, e.g. almost always at the point when the sun either starts to set or starts to rise.

I am really fund of this combination qdd on a (small) tablet and LRTL, would it only be stable...up to that point, I have to use bulb ramping with GBtimelapse for my "must not fail" shots, as it has not failed me a single time.

Hope there is a solution for this soon and I will happily take my 6D and my Nexus 7 for shooting without towing a laptop.

Edit: The 6D itself after the qdd crash somtimes shows "err" and can only be brought back to life by removing the battery

Thanks for your efforts so far Zoltan and Günther.
#2 Gunther
That's interesting, since I shoot the 6D connected via internal WiFi with almost no crashes.
The only difference seem to be that I use an external timer (Pixel Timer). Maybe you should try that and not use Magic Lantern.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 stonebone
Do you use the Pixel pixel tc-252? N3 Cable or wireless? I may can organize that one.

No half pressed shutter issue with this timer?
Do you use the setting on the timer:

TL Interval = interval on timer
Bulb on timer = 0

or

Interval = "bulbtime on timer" + 1 sec (interval on timer)
with
"max shutter time in qslrdashboard" = "bulbtime on timer" -2sec

Thanks
#4 Gunther
It's this one with cable - Set all values to zero, don't use bulb! Just set the interval to n Seconds.
#5 stonebone
Okidoki, that's the one I meant. Since Amazon is not shipping this product to my place, I picked one up on ebay.
Should arrive in the next couple of days. I'll resume testing as soon as I have it and report back.

Thanks for your advice.
#6 stonebone
Have now shot 2 HG sequences with the recommended Pixel Intervalometer, Nexus connected via 6D WiFi.

Guess what, no qdslrdashboard crash :-)

BUT, the first one I shot with the new canon method checked in qdslrdashboard, it worked until max shutter time reached, then stopped, meaning did not change ISO... so the sequence slowly blacked out.

The second one I shot with the old method (new method unchecked), and that one was running through correctly incl. ISO stepping.

Probably should report that in the qdslrdashboard forum.

Thanks again.
#7 Gunther
Glad it worked with the new timer! That's what I suspected.

I always found the "old" method working very well with my 6D as well, so that's what I'm using too.
#8 hubaiz
Yep on Canon most of the problems come from the interval timer as most of them always keep the camera in 'half press' mode and in that mode the camera does not accept commands from the application.
That is why I built my own timer Smile -> http://dslrdashboard.info/arduino-yun-in...-with-qdd/

Will hope the weather will allow and I can test it a bit more.

...also check out: