• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

qDSLRDashboard and External Intervalometer

#1 dlindey
It was my understanding that qDSLRDashboard could coexist with an external intervalometer. I'm attempting to use my Nikon MC-36 external intervalometer with dDSLRDashboard and my Nikon D810. I'm connecting the D810 with the TP Link 3020. I can execute a sequence with the qDSLRDashboard internal timer OK. However when I want to use the MC-36 with a programmed sequence to control the camera, the camera does not fire. The timer is executing the program but the shutter does not fire. Camera is set to  Manual exposure. I have programmed sufficient dark time to ensure there is enough time for jpeg transmission via WiFi, writing to the card and display on the iPad. I've tried both my MacBook Pro laptop and my iPad.

What am I missing?

Dave
#2 Gunther
Normally, triggering the camera with an external timer it the preferred way, since it's much more accurate than the internal timer in qDDB.
Some of those timers however, especially the original ones from Nikon and Canon do not perform well. They should trigger, but they also send an autofocus signal for several seconds that blocks the camera.
I still wonder why it isn't triggering at all in your case. Does it work if WiFi is not connected? qDDB not running? Make sure that the camera is not in live view also.

I'd suggest to try another timer. If the timer works, you could also modify the release cable as explained here to get the AF signal out of the equation and speed up things considerably: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-inte...-around-it
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 dlindey
(2017-08-14, 09:46)gwegner Wrote: Normally, triggering the camera with an external timer it the preferred way, since it's much more accurate than the internal timer in qDDB.
Some of those timers however, especially the original ones from Nikon and Canon do not perform well. They should trigger, but they also send an autofocus signal for several seconds that blocks the camera.
I still wonder why it isn't triggering at all in your case. Does it work if WiFi is not connected? qDDB not running? Make sure that the camera is not in live view also.

I'd suggest to try another timer. If the timer works, you could also modify the release cable as explained here to get the AF signal out of the equation and speed up things considerably: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-inte...-around-it

Thanks for replying Gunter. Yes the MC-36 works fine with all of my Nikon bodies. In fact it is the most reliable intervalometer I have ever used. I also tried a Vello intervalometer and it also will not trigger the camera when used with qDDB. I tried the Vello timer on all of my Nikon bodies and my Olympus OM-D EM5 II and ir converted E-M5 and they all work without qDDB.

This is very odd because it did work the last time I tried using qDDB about 2 years ago.

I have just now ordered the components to build 2 of the free LRT Intervalometer's. I hope this helps.

Dave

n
#4 DMLLRT
I just bought a Vello shutter boss II with the intention of disconnecting the focus trigger cable to shorten the interval time. I was also having inconsistencies with the qdslrdashboard intervalometer. So two good reasons for this approach. Using EOS 5D mkiv and connecting wirelessly to iPad Pro (2018) with IOS version of QDSLRdashbard. This is an old thread, but I thought I'd let anyone searching for an external intervalometer that this configuration works as of April 2019. Gunther - thank you for all your amazing work for the community!David

...also check out: