• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Qdslrdashboard and Interval ramping question ( interface not really clear )

Rainbow
#1 nslmanu
Hey guys Smile

I have a technical question : interval ramping is something really important as i love to extend the time during a sunset to night timelapses.

i don't really want to use the aperture ramping , but prefer time ( interval ramping ) .

I saw some parameters in the interval timer and i just wanted to know the exact signification, just to be sure to use them correctly .... Smile

Ramping easing : ?

Ramping duration : ?

Ramping interval : ?

For example : i want to shoot every 10 secs during the day and start to extend the interval to 30 secs when the shutter speed extend the interval time setup at the begining for the night shooting.

My questions are ( as i don't really know how to setup the qdsldashboard interface ) :

1) when to start the interval ramping ? ( i have to follow on the tablet the time and push the START INT RAMP button myself when i saw that i arrived to the max interval versus actual shutter speed even if i pushed the AUto Holy grail button before ? )

2) what is the ramping duration ? how to calculate it ?

3) there are few few ramping easing possibilities :Smile how to choose between them ?

Sorry for all these questions .... :Smileut i'm really curious and wanted to use fully and your products. There are lot of possiblities !!!! and great !!!!

Many thanks in advance for reading and whish you nice day and good timelapses ... Smile

Manu
#2 hubaiz
Ramping duration is the time for ramping from start interval to the 'Ramping interval'

An example.
You have an interval timer running at 10sec.
You start the interval ramping with 10min 'Ramping duration' and with 30sec 'Ramping interval'
This means qDslrDashbaord will increase (in this case) the interval from 10sec to 30sec in 10 minutes.
The 'Ramping easing' is the easing formula used for ramping the interval.
#3 nslmanu
Many thanks , it was not clear for me about the duration, now YES.

BUT BUT : if the sun light change very fast and the ramping curve does not allow at this moment the time to record a shoot on the sd card and do the next at the correct time ( i mean : the previous is still recording the shoot and the next shoot has to be done in the mean time ) : what will happends ? i'll loose the next shoot as it can be done as the preivous is recording , i'm right ?

i hope i'm clear ... sorry for my poor english, i'm french ( yes sorry for that too ! Smile ).
#4 hubaiz
Yes, the interval timer does not know about the shutter speed.
#5 Gunther
Make sure not to confuse Exposure ramping (what the Auto Holy Grail would do) with intervall ramping.
Exposure (as well as Aperture and ISO) ramping will help to keep the brightness of the images inside the dynamic range of the camera - this is crucial.
Interval ramping might be used to accomodate for longer intervals in the night, but it will lead to a visuible accelleration of the timelapse (since fewer images will be shoot per hour) - so most of the timelapse photographers I know don't use it or only use it if the conditions permit (mostly no clouds).
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#6 nslmanu
thanks,

No pb for me , i'm not confuse between both things ... the inly point now for me is : how to ensure that the Exposure time does not becomes higher than then the interval set in the "interval ramping" section. That's my point Sad

What i'm doing is to accelerate a lite bit the day part and leave normal the night part.
#7 rupamgupta
Well, in the latest QDSLR version's Timer has an option of adding the shutter time to the interval. In case you really need to use the Interval ramping option, this feature , that is adding the shutter open time to the interval should solve shutter time grater than (target) Interval (while or after ramping) issue.

Experts please comment and rectify if my understanding is correct.

Btw what why do lapse photographer use Interval Ramping? What is the effect in the final video output that they get or try to get by using Interval Ramping? Can anyone throw some light on this?
#8 Gunther
For example if you need a shorter interval for the sunset than you would for the milky way (quite common). Of course interval ramping will speed up the sequence also.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#9 rupamgupta
(2017-04-26, 20:31)gwegner Wrote: For example if you need a shorter interval for the sunset than you would for the milky way (quite common). Of course interval ramping will speed up the sequence also.

Hi, 

Thanks once again for the wonderful LRTimlapse software and the section in Qdslr. Really makes life easy. 

Since you brought up the topic of Sunset to Milky way- My question is can this be done through the Auto HG function. That is after sunset would it ramp up the Exposure time to 15-20 sec or ISO  & Aperture accordingly if I provide I provide the upper and lower values of each respectively. 

Alternatively, can you please explain or provide a link to any existing tutorial or discussion where this is explained.

...also check out: