• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Qdslrdashboard and Rhino Motion Control

#1 Bryant
I am considering the Rhino 60cm Slider and Motion Control Motor.  Does anyone know if this will work with qDslrDashboard and the Holy Grail at sunrise and sunset in which the shutter speed and ISO settings can be changed by qDslrDashboard?  
Thanks,
#2 Gunther
Normally it works with any slider. Just make sure that the slider controller only triggers the exposure briefly (if the controller allows to configure an exposure time set it to the shortest possible). The "real" exposure will be set on the camera.
qDslrDashboard will just get any image that has been shot by the camera automatically.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Bryant
I am still confused.   Will the shutter operation be controlled by the Motion Controller or qdslrdashboard?   And can qdlslrdashboard change the shutter speed as necessary during Holy Grail Sunset time when a motion controller is used?   With the Rhino Motion Control doesn't it control the shutter time of the camera?   i.e. Move the slider then trigger the shutter.  Also, have you posted how qdslrdashboard interfaces with Motion Sliders?
Thanks again
#4 tak530
I have Rhino sliders and WAS happy with using the sliders with eMotimo TB3. It works with qDSLRdashboard.
The stop and shoot is controlled by the AUX port of TB3, so there won't be any problem even the shutter speed
is getting slower and slower.
Using Rhino Motion and ARC is another story. The product was designed assuming that the user will set the shutter
speed on MOTION controller and even worse, their don't allow your to set IN/OUT points on the slider. You always have
to use the full length or the slider. So it does do "stop and shoot", but you don't have a full control of it including when
to stop some your camera could shoot. I talked to Rhino and they said it's designed to be "easy setting" though I told them
it's not the way people are shooting time-lapse, unfortunately, their said they don't have a plan to update the firmware.
It's not a pro solution not even for advanced users.

So if you need to use Rhino slider, get an eMotimo TB3 ( if it's available ), or you better go for something else. I am planning
to let go my Rhino MOTION and ARC due to lacking the function you are looking for.
#5 Gunther
You can use the Rhino Evo with qDslrDashboard too. Just set the exposure time on the Rhino controller to the shortest possible. It will then only briefly trigger the shutter and leave time for all the rest. The shutter time will be set on the camera anyway (and controlled via qDslrDashboard).
I agree, the way of programming the controller is awkward - because you cannot directly set the interval - but it will be calculated from the other given parameters, so you have to experiment/guess a bit.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#6 richparry
I've got two Rhino sliders (24 ad 42 inch) and MOTION. Rhino made the configuration "idiot proof". This means it is easy to configure MOTION for simple stuff, but they took away complete control of the configuration, For example, you can't control the "interval". MOTION calculates the interval for you and you can't override it.

Both Gunther and I had suggested a PRO mode to Rhino, but I only got a nice thank you for my input. I like the slider, but disappointed in MOTION. My biggest grip is MOTION display, I have to put a coat over my head to make a portable "darkroom" to see the dim display during daylight hours.

Rich
Canon user: 5DM3, 5DM2, Rhino Slider (24" & 42"), Emotimo TB3. Use Adobe ACR and AE.

...also check out: