• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

qdslrdashboard + holygrail + no external camera

#1 olav
I don't know if this has been brought up, but on my last trip to Madeira I put the great qdslrdashboard-solution to the test with a canon Dslr. I have however been looking some time to get the ultimate lightweight grail solution that I can use on holiday that aren't "timelapse-video-photo-holidays", but that also gives me the best quality that is possible.

The new mobile cameras are great saving in RAW and using multiple sensors. So I would love to have qdslrdashboard not only support nikon, canon and sony, but to also support my mobile camera. I posted a tread on the qdslrdashboard forum a while ago but nobody seems to think that this is interesting...

What do you guys think?

Olav
#2 Gunther
Which camera are you talking about?
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 olav
As of now my best mobile camera is a Samsung S8, but if qdsldashboard will support another phonecamera for holy-grail, I'll strongly consider buying it. But usually the hardware layer is controlled by android, so it shouldn't make to much difference what phone to use as the android OS will decide what features different phonecameras will support?
#4 olav
Just to clarify: I have used qdsldashboard with Nikon, Canon and Sony cameras and all worked flawlessly. It's a great app, but it would be perfect to also support android phones/iPhones for capturing timelapses on the phone!
#5 Gunther
You are talking about a mobile phone camera? I don't think it makes much sense to implement this. Yes, the cameras got better - I have a Huawei P20 Pro, it has the best camera available currently, but still, I'd not use it for Timelapse work. There's just not enough dynamic range in the DNG files, the memory would fill up very quickly when shooting time lapse etc. Not really an option imho.
#6 olav
You are right about the inferiority of the mobile camera. But my point is not to get a replacement for a DSLR. My idea is based on that the best camera is the one that you bring along. Think about going hiking in the mountains, being on a biketrip or similar and the only camera you bring is your phone. And then there is this incredible sunset...

...with todays solutions you can buy a "timelapse-app" for android/iphone that gives you a timelapse instantly without real manual control, without RAW and no possibility to do some adjustments later when you get home with LRTimelapse.

So my point is to have the best solution that is possible with a mobile phone. It may very well be that qdsldashboard is not the solution, but a mobile-app that can take timelapses in RAW pictures and where I can adjust how the camera changes settings as the lighting conditions change (ISO, shutter, aperture) like qdsldashboard would be perfect.

As for storage, the S8 takes microSD, and I could bring several 128Gb cards, that will be plenty.

I have used Viewranger (Ed.: Camranger) for many years now, and I understand perfectly were qdslrdashboard comes from, so I also understand how it can be difficult for qdsldashboard users to see what I'm looking at here. But to be able to do a timelapse with your phone that gives the best quality that is possible from a modern phone together with LRTimelapse would probably also extend the userbase of this fantastic program even further!

Olav
#7 Gunther
I understand. I guess you will have to discuss this with Zoltan Hubai, the developer!
#8 olav
Yeah, I initially posted this on the qdslrdashboard forum, but with no response. That's why I came here because most of the forumers in here do timelapses as opposed to the users on qdslrdashboard forum.

In any case, if I contact Zoltan Hubai and he sees the potential, he'll have to check with the community if the potential user-group is big enough to justify using time into developing this feature or not. That's why I was hoping that the readers of this forum will post their thoughts about a mobile-phone feature, and than the next step would be to talk to the developer if this has potential.

So, what do you guys think?
#9 ert485
Old thread, but it's something I might want to work on developing. I'm looking at ways to make timelapses that don't require a DSLR.
Olav did you find anything since?

...also check out: