• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ramper Pro XMP files

Video
#1 TheModScene
Hello All,
Just want to see what people are doing with the XMP files from Ramper Pro.
When I Import Raw files from the camera card, I change the name of the files to something that reminds me of the subject im shooting. The xmp files from ramper pro are stored on the microSD card on the unit. They keep the same name as the original camera file ( ie: IMG_7990.xmp ) Those files aren't importable. So I have imported the xmp files into the same subdirectory as the RAW files. Then I have to rename each one Sad that's lots of work for a time lapse. any ideas on renaming files but keeping the correct order?

2) when you load LRTL3 what is the correct order for handling the xmp files? initialize metadata? in LR5 do you read metadata from files? or just save metadata and then open LRTL3 to read metadata?
thanks.
happy capturing
#2 Gunther
I'd suggest you put the xmp-files from the ramper onto the memory card _before_ importing.
Then you could import either via Lightroom (and do the renaming while importing) or (preferred) via LRTimelapse, which will allow for the renaming as well.
Then you start the regular process in LRTimelapse and LRT will use the exposure settings from the RamperPro as default.

If you use Exposure/ISO ramping only and no bulb ramping (what I recommend) with the RP, another way is, to just leave the XMP files from the ramper and use the LRTimelapse Holy Grail wizard. This will generate the adjustments as well and even allow you to make global adjustments (rotate/shift the curve) - and it saves you from importing the xmps from the ramper. That's what I do.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 nikonman05
Are you telling that there is no use for the xmp-files from RP and instead use the holygrailtechnique?

"If you use Exposure/ISO ramping only and no bulb ramping (what I recommend) with the RP, another way is, to just leave the XMP files from the ramper and use the LRTimelapse Holy Grail wizard. This will generate the adjustments as well and even allow you to make global adjustments (rotate/shift the curve) - and it saves you from importing the xmps from the ramper. That's what I do. "
#4 Gunther
That's what I do.
#5 Paz75
Greetings,

I am a new RamperPro user and I love it. Contrary to Gunther, I prefer using bulb ramping only with a high value neutral density filter to slow daylight exposures above 1/20 second to achieve a nice ghosting effect.

However when I setup my folder of frames, and put the RamperPro XMP files into the same directory, LRTimelapse is always trying to write XMP into files.

Isnt LRTimelapse supposed to use the XMP files which are provided? How can I make LRTimelapse use the RamperPro XMPs?

Thank you,
Paz
#6 Gunther
If you load a folder with Files, that have XMPs from RamperPro, LRTimelapse will load that XMPs, donÄt worry. You will see an additional Column then in the table of values called "Ext. Exposure Default" - those are the Exp-Values from RamperPro.
They will be used as defaults when initializing as well. Just take care not to change exposure if you edit the keyframes in Lightroom.
#7 Maxx92
Hi all
I just got my RamperPro last week. And I followed above mentioned workflow. However, there is absolutely ZERO smoothing from RamperPro visible. It looks exactly like when I did it manually. I copied the XMP files to the D750 memory card, then used LRTimelapse4 to import. I am a bit disappointed. As this was only a test from my balcony, it does not matter too much. But the test failed for sure. I need to find out why, though :-)
#8 Gunther
If I were you, I'd ignore the RP XMPs. Just use the Holy Grail Wizard in LRT and then the visual derflicker. The Holy Grail Wizard will do exactly what the RP does in terms of XMP leveling and you will save the hassle of importing the XMPs from the RP.
#9 Maxx92
That means, in a nutshell, that I did not really need RP to begin with.... in fact, LRTimelapse has done all the legwork quite nicely so far.

Thanks for your quick reply. Gruss. Marc

I attached a screenshot just to show what came out of "easy" mode with the light sensor attached. It still might be a user problem ;-)
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#10 Gunther
RP for shooting is fine, it will do the ramping.
But then in the next step, you will have to level out the exposure "jumps".
In your screenshot you have to compensations applied: the LRTimelapse compensation (orange) - and the RP compensation (yellow).
One is too much.

I suggest that you right click on the folder, then "Clear all LRTimelapse editing" to start over without the compensations from the RP. Then use the holy grail wizard and do the regular LRTimelapse workflow. This will compensate for the jumps in brightness with the orange curve.

Next time just don't use the Ramper Pro XMP files at all.

...also check out: