• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ramper Pro XMP files

#11 grantkaye
Just got a Ramper Pro 2 and am back from using it in Alaska to test it out. 

Gunther i was wondering if you've changed your thoughts on this since this thread was written with regards to LRT3. 

I'm wondering if your workflow is to totally disregard the XMP files generated by the Ramper Pro what the point is of using it at all? Why not just set your camera to Av mode and use 1/3 steps in ISO and exposure and then just use LRT?
#12 Gunther
Av mode is not controllable. It will make the images too bright when it gets dark (metering stops working from a certain darkness on) and further on you would have to combine it with Auto ISO and you can't really control how the camera will set Exposure/ISO and what it will prioritize.

So normally I recommend using qDslrDashboard and the Auto Holy Grail, it allows for a full 3 way ramping of Shutter, ISO and Aperture. And you get a nice preview on the tablet including Histogram and can jump in any time during ramping if you feel the images should get darker or brighter. The steps will be 1/3 and LRTimelapse's Holy Grail Wizard will smoothen those and the visual deflicker at the end will do the remaining smoothing.

Wir RP it's quite similar - just set it to ramp exposure and ISO (don't know about aperture) - but don't use Bulb ramping. Then you can use the same workflow in LRTimelapse. No need to use the RP XMPs, since LRTimelapse's Auto Holy Grail will do the same job.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#13 grantkaye
Hey Gunther thanks that's awesome info. 

I'm still getting used to the RP and trying to understand what it is doing. 

Can you explain why you wouldn't want to use it in Bulb mode? Also, what advantages does it offer from say using the Promote Control to do a ramp and then putting the resulting RAW files into LRT with the Holy Grail wizard? Does the light sensor and sunrise/sunset time feature of the RP really make that much of a difference in how it calculates the ramping curve? It says it monitors the histograms via shooting in low res JPEG is this really happening while it ramps if it's ramping in M mode (with discrete steps?)
#14 Gunther
Because Bulb is unecessary (since you wouldn't be shooting with longer exposures then 30sec. anyway) and it would only confuse LRTimelapse's holy grail wizard by delivering inaccurate exif data. Just turn it off and make the RP doing only Exp/ISO ramping.

I do not know about the Promote and the exact differences to RP. I tested the RP some time ago and found it a bit complicated compared to the qDslrDashboard solution that I use. And qDDB just delivers great results for me and does anything I need for a fraction of the price.
Besides it uses a very sophisticated Histogram Analysis that really delivers and does not rely on any light meters etc.

But as I said, if you set the RP to Exp/ISO ramping you will most likely be able to shoot very good transitions with a bit of practical experience too.
#15 grantkaye
Thanks Gunther. Again I cant really tell you enough how much I value and appreciate LR Timelapse. It really is a marvelous piece of software. 

I did an interview for the Wall Street Journal online this week on the math and science of timelapse, it comes out tomorrow and I mentioned how important LR Timelapse is to my workflow. Hopefully the software gets a mention in the piece! If it does, I'll send you the link. 

I'm going to check out qSDD and see if I can;t get it working with my Rasperry Pi or Android.
#16 Gunther
Wow, thanks for that! That would be awesome! :-) let me know...
#17 handtuch
Hey, just got "View" from timelapse+ , does the same apply ? you recomend to throw out the xmp files ?
cheers,
#18 Gunther
It's up to you. If you provide the view's xmp files, LRTimelapse will use them instead of the holy grail wizard.
If not, you could use the wizard. The results are very similar (try it).
Mostly I'm too lazy to copy the view's xmp files, I directly use LRTimelapse's importer and street the workflow right away.
In any case make sure to use at least LRTimelapse 4.7.5 for full View support.
#19 handtuch
ok thanks, im on 4.75. and it works nicely

...also check out: