• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Random Missed Frames?

#1 Sportspix
Hi Everyone!

I've posted this on the DSLRDashboard forum but I'm hoping the folks on here might possibly come up with some ideas about the problem that I've experienced.

I've used DSLRDashboard to shoot timelapses successfully, but recently had issues with random skipped frames in a couple of sequences that don't make sense, and I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this or might know what might be causing it, be it hardware or software.

First Instance:
[1] 37 frames fired off properly with 20s shutter speed at 25s intervals (5s gap).
[2] Skipped a frame (i.e. 50s gap between frames).
[3] Skipped a frame again.
[4] Skipped a frame again.
[5] Flawless 25s intervals for the next 220 frames.
(Same setup had completed 247 frame sequence an hour before without problem)

Second Instance:
[1] 288 frames fired off properly with 3s shutter speed at 6s intervals (3s gap).
[2] Skipped a frame. (12s gap between frames)
[3] Skipped TWO frames. (18s gap between frames)
[4] Skipped TWO frames.
[5] Skipped TWO frames.
[6] Flawless 6s intervals for the next 142 frames.

On both occasions I was using equipment that has been functioning fine before, specifically: Nikon D4, interval timer controlled by DSLRDashboard running on an Android tablet connected via USB cable and OTG adaptor.

This is a huge problem because it totally ruins the timelapse sequence when it happens. And it's very hard to replicate because everything seems to work fine, then I get problems for a few frames and then everything is fine again.

I wouldn't have thought it's a memory card problem because the buffer should easily handle any temporary slowing in writing? And if it's transfer issues I'd expect more general inconsistency rather than good consistency and then sudden loss of function before perfect consistency is resumed again.

Any ideas if this is a camera/XQD card/DSLRDashboard/cable problem and possible remedies; help would be greatly appreciated!
#2 Gunther
I can only repeat myself: don't use the internal intervalometer in qDDB. It's not really reliable. Let qDDB do what I does best: ramping and controlling the camera. But use a good external intervalometer for releasing the camera. Read this article too: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-inte...-around-it

Posted mobile via Tapatalk...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Sportspix
Thanks Gunther... I was hoping to have a play around with interval ramping hence the reversion to using DSLRDashboard. It's a shame if it's unreliable! I went back to the external interval timer with no problems yesterday.
#4 Gunther
The best option for interval ramping would be the LRTPTF: https://lrtimelapse.com/lrtimelapse-pro-timer-free/

Posted mobile via Tapatalk...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: