• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Re: Smooth Pink Curve but Still a Slight Flicker...?

#1 sdillon001
Hi Gunther, first let me say that I'm really impressed with your timelapse work and your work with this program. I purchased the pro license recently because I'd like to try to sell some timelapses as stock (plus I love timelapses). So far, I'm really enjoying the process and using LRT is a huge help, so thank you for all of your hard work!

I was hoping you might be able to help me with my most recent edit. This is only my third attempt at a Holy Grail timelapse - and it came out much better than previous attempts! I've uploaded the results straight from LRT5 to Youtube and included a screencast of my LRT workspace after the timelapse itself. Here's the link:

https://youtu.be/AV3yNV_k3gk

I followed your e-book while shooting and started by adjusting exposure, then aperture, then ISO, carefully watching the histogram, but I think I may have made too many adjustments right at dusk. I was reducing shutter speed by 1/3rd of a stop three times - or 1 full stop. Then I opened the aperture by 1/3rd stop, reduce the shutter speed by 1/3rd of a stop for a total of three times or 1 full stop, and so on. I did adjust ISO in between slightly because I wanted to preserve depth of field.

Much of the sequence looks great but there's still several slight flickers starting at 16 seconds and going until about 20 seconds (it's kinda hard to see on Youtube). You can see at 0:49secs on my workspace there are two frames 491 and 491 that don't have keyframes or orange triangles, the visual luminance doesn't change and there's no change in shutter, aperture, or ISO, but these frames are showing flicker?

I've watched your shooting tutorial (twice), your basic workflow tutorial (twice) and advanced deflickering video. I've applied Visual Deflicker, but I didn't select an area - every selection was messing up the pink curve and when I just applied an overall deflicker of about 12 I got good results with the rest of the sequence. I shift selected the area with the slight flicker I'm referring to and I refined the VD and the pink curve looks very smooth, but there's still noticeable flicker in the final video.

Any help or guidance to correct this would be greatly appreciated whether with editing or shooting technique. I really like this sequence but I really want to fix this issue.

Thanks so much!
Steve

**I just read this post: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-mor...-questions

I'm not sure it's due to editing. I only edited clarity, blacks, whites, dehaze once and synced to all kf using the script. Then only adjusted expsosure and white balance and some shadows...
#2 Gunther
Looks like contrast flicker introduced by lightroom. Avoid using Dehaze and Whites/Blacks and use the Tonecurve instead. This will help tremendously with such sequences, with high contrasts. It's not important if you animate those tools, it's just that Lightroom unfortunately applies them differently to different images. See this article also: https://lrtimelapse.com/news/use-the-new...me-lapses/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 GBlack
I certainly agree with Gunther's good advice, but I'd be tempted to restrict the luminosity to a rectangular region of the sky so that it doesn't include the lights, which especially for the ferris wheel appear to be varying in their brightness in a cyclical fashion Smile.
#4 Gunther
Yes, that's another good advice.

Gesendet von meinem CLT-L29 mit Tapatalk
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: