• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Reading Metadata in LRTimelapse/Lightroom Confusion

#1 Made of Storm
Hi guys! I've been reading this forum for a while now and recently ventured into timelapse myself, now trying to figure out the correct workflow to achieve proper results. I have a solid background in photography, but I can't seem to manage the correct process with timelapse software yet.

My question is - according to this step by step guide to LRTimelapse (full link here: http://lrtimelapse.com/#tabs-8-0-4)

Step 2: Switch over to Lightroom

Open the folder with your time-lapse images
Go to grid-view (G) and select all the images (Ctrl-A)
Select Metadata -> Read metadata from files from the menu
Edit the first image of the series
Copy/paste the settings of the first image to the last
(Ctrl-Shift-C, Ctrl-Shift-V)
Edit the last image of the sequence differently based on the pasted settings
Mark your edited images with "one star" - you might as well edit key-frame-images in between and mark them as key-frames (hit "1" to mark images as key frames).
I recommend editing the key-framed images from left to right copying/pasting the settings of the previous key-framed images as a reference for the next and so on.
Save the metadata for the edited images (Ctrl-S)

Step 3: Return to LRTimelapse

Reload
Click on Auto transition for a smooth transition that will take the key-framed images into account.
Deflicker, if necessary.
See the detailed deflicker guide.
Save

Step 4: Now go back to Lightroom

Clear any filter, go to Grid-View ('G'), and select all images (Ctrl-A)
Go to the metadata menu and chose "read metadata from files". This will update your sequence with the calculated transitions

I encounter two persistent issues - the first one is - when I mark the first and last images of my timelapse with one star, after reloading the sequence in LRTimelapse, it doesnt update them as keyframes, which, if I understood correctly, should not be the case. I have to mark them manually. Not a biggie, but not sure if I'm not wrong somewhere on the path.

And the other one, bigger thing, is - on Step 4, when I read the metadata again in lightroom, after transitions have been applied and saved in LRTimelapse, it actually cancels all my edits and returns the images to their original state, before any corrections have been made to them. I'm sure I'm missing something extremely simple, but I'm really stuck on this one. I use latest versions of both LRTimelapse and Lightroom.

Will be thankful for any ideas.
#2 Gunther
(2012-07-23, 12:27)Made of Storm Wrote: I encounter two persistent issues - the first one is - when I mark the first and last images of my timelapse with one star, after reloading the sequence in LRTimelapse, it doesnt update them as keyframes, which, if I understood correctly, should not be the case.
Yes, it should. Have you saved the metadata for the two images set as keyframes?
It's easier however to define the keyframes already in LRTimelapse. After saving there and loading metadata into Lightroom, the should appear there as one-star ratings.
Quote:I have to mark them manually. Not a biggie, but not sure if I'm not wrong somewhere on the path.
This is indeed a biggie, because I assume, in that case the other settings won't travel as well. So remember to always load metadata when you enter Lightroom during the process and save metadata before you exit Lightroom.

Quote:And the other one, bigger thing, is - on Step 4, when I read the metadata again in lightroom, after transitions have been applied and saved in LRTimelapse, it actually cancels all my edits and returns the images to their original state, before any corrections have been made to them. I'm sure I'm missing something extremely simple, but I'm really stuck on this one. I use latest versions of both LRTimelapse and Lightroom.
see above, I think that's the reason!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: