• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Render video warning

#1 Bruiser
Hi, can you make it so that a warning comes up if you render a video which has a video name that already exists?

I've had to output whole sequences a couple of times (I tend not to keep the Lightroom jpegs) because I was unaware a previous mp4 had the same title. I know you can change the name, but it's a pain deleting part of a thread to do so.

Better still, how about having a box come up to put the name in instead of showing the whole thread? After all, a window comes up with the video's location anyway.

Thanks.
#2 Gunther
The naming concept in LRTimelapse is meant to have the name of the sequence populated until the output video. So normally if you follow that, you will never have to change a name manually. Sequences will be always named according to the folder name. LRTimelapse wil then add some suffixes, to distiguish renders with different settings. So normally, if you render an sequence twice, it is intended, that it gets overwritten.
The only exception is, if you export a sequence with different edititings from LRTExport, for example, you changed the cropping and want to preserve the render with the original cropping. In that case you should change the name in Lightroom, in the LRTExport dialog. This will generate a new set of intermediary files and it will tell you, if the folder already exist and would be probably overwritten. The name of the new folder of intermediares will then be populated to the LRTimelapse render dialog. There again the appropriate suffixes will be added.
It's always a very good idea to keep the intermediary sequences (otherwise, the check for a duplicate won't work, of course).

A second check for a duplicate file name in the render dialog, would break the automatic rendering. Most users use the option "render with last settings" to not interrupt the process before the final output is done, any warning dialog would stop that process.

Please try to think about the intended workflow and probably use it. It has a reason why it is like it is, I hope I could clarify that reason.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Bruiser
Sorry, but that sounds like a pretty poor reason. 

I've used a lot of other programs over the years and none of them use your concept of just overwriting a file without warning. 

I know you get a warning from Lightroom when outputting a new set of intermediate files, but to be honest, what is the point of keeping a set of Jpg's when you can just output a new set if required, after all, the settings will more than likely need changing if you're producing a new film and you still have the metadata from the previous set.

I have no idea what you mean by '[size=small][font='Open Sans', 'Myriad Pro', Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Most users use the option "render with last settings"', as no option pops up unless you mean they are just using the output folder from Lightroom?[/font][/size]
#4 Gunther
"Render with last settings" is an option in the LRTExport plugin in Lighroom that will not bring up the LRTimelapse render dialog, but just render with the last settings unattended.

The point is that exporting from lightroom takes a long, long time, while rendering in LRT ist very fast. That's the reason for keeping the intermediary files.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: