• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

rendered video problems (sticks/glitch in player)

#11 aksel.gresvig
Hi Gunther,

I'm experiencing similar problems so I'll post here rather than making a new thread.

I've put together a TL using post-processed RAW files (16MP) according to your visual workflow, exported to JPGs (default preset) and then rendered some videos. Trying to watch them in QuickTime and VLC, anything above 4K/24p is unwatchable. Here are my results:

- h264-420_3K_30_VHQ - Plays fine
- h264-420_4KUHD_24_HQ - Plays fine

- h264-420_4KUHD_24_VHQ - Very choppy, halts for a few seconds and resumes (QuickTime). VLC will not play (no motion)
- h264-420_4KUHD_30_HQ - Almost smooth initially, halts for a few seconds and resumes (QuickTime). VLC really struggles (artifacts, choppy)
- h264-420_4KUHD_30_VHQ- Similar result as 24p VHQ, perhaps a little more exaggerated

I have:
Latest OSX Sierra
Latest iMac with i7 4.0GHz Skylake CPU, Radeon R9 M390 GPU
LRT 4.7.4, DNG Converter 9.8
Latest Lightroom (CC 2015.7)
VLC 2.2.4

I cannot imagine I'm hardware limited. Is the software codecs/players really the problem here - they cannot handle it?

I need 4K, 30p at the very least for my timelapses. Please advise!
#12 Gunther
Obviously you are reaching some limits there. What about video editors - does that work? - I mean those high quality files are not meant for playback - they are meant for editing. Even on my High Performance PC I cannot playback 4K UHQ smoothly.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#13 aksel.gresvig
I just tried importing the clips into Premiere Pro CC, and experience similar problems there. Very choppy/halting playback, timeline runs but no motion.

How can I verify 100% that a video file is ok?
#14 Gunther
This is exactly what you get when your system is too slow to handle the high resolutions and bit rates.
So I assume the video files are okay (why shouldn't they) - so just go down with resolution/quality until you get playable/editable clips.
Especially lowering the quality setting in LRT will most likely not change anything in the visual quality.

But of course it might be advisable to fine tune the system (google for how to tune the premiere performance) - especially setting the work folders and source folders to fast ssds or raid systems can help a lot.
#15 aksel.gresvig
Thanks. I must admit I am surprised that my system (new iMac with 4.GHz i7 Skylake, 24GB RAM, and a 400MB/s+ SSD) is a bottleneck. The videos I exported with LRT at VHQ came out about 1GB for a 13 second clip. Thats less than 80MB/s - should not be problem for the disks, or memory throughput..

I tried playing the files again in Premiere, and now I was able to playback the 30fps files smoothly, but all VHQ files still very choppy. I do not see an indicator in Premiere, but it seems it has "chewed on them" for a bit (rendered to RAM)?) which lead to improved playback.

Is ProRes then the holy grail of formats? They'll take up more space on my disk, but will free me of playback/editing issues?
#16 Gunther
MP4 is not the best option for very high resolutions and qualities. It's was never intended for this.
Persoinally I never use VHQ/UHQ for MP4 because it mostly makes the files bigger without really improving quality.
But depending on your system Prores or H.265 could challenge the computer too - especially since the files will get much bigger.
#17 Faust
Gunther,

Would please share your workflow to get smooth video playback?  You indicated that you usually use HQ and not higher but what other software or LRTimeLapse settings are commonly used, hardware?, etc.?  Would like to smooth out the playback.
Am getting jerky looking clouds using the latest LRTimeLapse.  Am going to update my MacBook to a 2015 15", 16gb ram, 1tb ssd.  Will let you know if this helps.  Will the Pro version help this issue?

Thank you!
#18 Gunther
Again, in the latest versions LRTimelapse uses a wide gamut workflow that might cause older versions of Mac OS to have some problems with smooth playback, showing previews etc.
Either you upgrade your computer to the latest MacOS or you try the sRGB workflow that you can activate when exporting from Lightroom via LRTExport in the advanced settings.
Please try this first and let me know.
Normally the output from LRTimelapse is not primarily meant for direct playback - those are HQ master files for further processing.
If you computer struggles to play them back, you can as well use a lower resolution or quality setting.
#19 Faust
First, thank you for all the help.  It is very much appreciated.

Question about advance settings:  I do not see an option in the Advanced Settings for export as an SRBG file for the private LRTimelapse license.  Please see screen shot for what I am seeing.  Please expound on this.

Another thought, if taking image captures at too slow of an interval, does this cause fast moving clouds to look jerky?
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#20 Gunther
Please install LRTimelapse 4.7.5 , check the version of the LRTEport Plugin, it has to show 4.7.5 too, that's a new feature in that version.

...also check out: