• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rendering ProRes

#1 Sinsear
Are there any special considerations regarding rendering a video in ProRes? For example, is it recommended that it is rendered using TIFF files instead of JPEGs? Or does it not matter?
#2 Gunther
Of course, if you use TIFF, which compresses lossless you'll get a better quality in your Prores which also compresses nearly lossless. If you use JPG intermediaries, the intermediaries will already have lossy compression and 8 bit only.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Sinsear
So I exported all of the images at TIFF 16 bit, running the latest version of both LRTimelapse and LR (so the export bug has been fixed), and then tried rendering the video with the following settings (see screenshot). However, afterwards, the resulting video file has a size of several hundred bytes, and obviously, doesn't play. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

https://imgur.com/a/1ML8Ooc
#4 Gunther
I'd need to see the log file, after you rendered (info/show log). But I expect your computer running out of memory or something like that. Please consider: You are trying to render 60 MP images in original resolution into a video file which might not be the best idea. I know of no program which would play that back. For video output "more" is not always "better". It's about finding the right compromise. I'd render in 6k, if you aim for 4k editing. This still will leave you room for some cropping. If you need more cropping, I'd do it when editing the keyframes. Also "Ultra High" Quality might not be your best option. High should normally be enough, especially when combined with high resolutions.
#5 cringeguy
Looks like you're using a camera with high resolution just like A7RIV. I'm having the same problem.
Currently I'm rendering the video with After effects/Media Encoder.
#6 Sinsear
Actually the Mac Pro with the Afterburner card should be able to handle 10k ProRes fine (I know it can handle up to 3 streams of 8k ProRes smoothly and without issue, which is around 100MP, so 61MP shouldn't cause it to break a sweat).
#7 cringeguy
After effects is rendering my video to 8K prores 4444 no problem.

Afterburner involves with decoding and playback, not rendering. Afterburner, also, as of now, only works with Apple products. No other third party is listed yet but Resolve I think will follow soon.
#8 Gunther
Ok, I think we should sort out things a bit here.
Initially in this thread @sinsear wrote, that he couldn't render. Turned out he maxed out all settings, which might not make sense if you don't exactly know what you are doing. Despite of that it would be necessary for me to see the log file in order to be able to judge what was going on there.

@Cringeguy: LRTimelapse uses ffmpeg as renderer, it's one of the best renderers at all and in many aspects even better than the adobe renderer. It usually has no problem with 8K rendering or even above. If you get any errors, please also send me the log file.

But again: just maxing out all settings doesn't make sense. For video rendering you should start with a senseful "normal" setting, like quality: "high" and only go higher, if the results require that. The same goes for 422 vs 444 - only use the higher setting, if you know what you are doing and you absolutely need it and know what you are doing.
#9 cringeguy
Thanks @gwegner. I'm currently using After Effects to render which currently suits my workflow for now. I also think ffmpeg is more superior than Adobe and Apple Compressor although it uses unauthorised implementation of prores (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200321).

Note that I have no problem rendering in LRTimelapse when I had A7RIII; only when I started using A7RIV I get this 185 byte quicktime file.

I'll send the log when I get a chance. Thanks.

...also check out: