• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rendering video in LRTimelapse vs. Premier with shake reduction?

#1 shock
I want a workflow that lets me use the advantages of LRTimelapse (transitioning LR edits, deflicker) together with Premier (e.g. shake reduction).  Shake reduction uses cropping (reducing resolution) or upscaling (reducing quality).

1)  LRTimelapse workflow > LR export to LRTimelapse > Import video into Premier
This workflow uses LRTimelapse to render video.  If we apply shake reduction after and re-render video in same resolution, we lose some quality.

2) LRTimelapse workflow > LR export as JPEG > Import image sequence into Premier
This workflow skips LRTimelapse video rendering step.  Here we apply shake reduction to the high-resolution sequence then downscale to our final resolution.

I don't know what happens in LRTimelapse when it renders videos.  Am I losing something important in workflow (2)?  Are deflicker adjustments properly applied to my image sequence if I export from LR as JPEG?

Thanks!
#2 Gunther
When you use Premiere or any other video editing software to cut and combine your clips in theory there will be always some loss in quality, since you will be recoding once. In practical use this doesn't really matter. Especially, if you use good codecs like ProRes for your source clips and there is not really a feasible option, since working with image sequences or uncompressed material in a Video Editor makes it really slow.
So my recommendation for best quality would be to use Tiff intermediaries when exporting from LR via LRTExport, then render  in Prores. Now bring those clips to Premiere Pro and apply any effects you still need to apply like Warp Stabilizer, transitions, add music etc.

Another option, that I frequently use is to stabilize the master clips from LRTimelapse before bringing them into Premiere for cutting:
  • Export Tiff Intermediares via LRTExport
  • Bring that LRT_* folder as image sequence into After Effects
  • Stabilize via Warp Stabilizer or Tracker
  • Export again as Image sequence into a folder with suffix "stabi", i.e. LRT_*_Stabi - make sure the naming of the files in the sequence is LRT_00001.tif etc...
  • Render this intermediary sequence with LRTimelapse into Prores.
  • Bring the ProRes file into Premiere Pro for cutting.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 shock
Thanks for the tips! I'll try using the Tiff LRTExport option.
#4 Cumbo
Is there any good setting recommendations when exporting stabilized image sequence to video from Premiere? I'd like to maintain really high 4K quality. I tried 80/100 mbps and the clip became 150mb (1,5 gigs from LRTimelapse). Then I tried 1000/1000mbps and the result was unplayable on my 9900K+GTX 2080.

...also check out: