• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Select folder for export

#1 MountainWanderer
Have just been playing with LRT3PRO - having crossgraded from LRT2non-PRO, and it's a great improvement in many ways - well done Gunther! Smile

However, I've also had numerous problems with the intermediate files - initially sending them to a disk that wasn't big enough (hadn't thought through just how big 700-900 tifs x4 were going to be!)

And that means I've had to think carefully about where intermediate and final files should be stored.

Which means that intermediate files are now in a totally different place to where I want the final export to end up.

Please can we have a browse button to select the final path (like there is to select the intermediate files) as typing in a complicated and different filepath for this gets very tiresome when you're trying to effectively batch process several TLs in a row and even one typo causes it to sulk and send you to the error log... ;-)
#2 Gunther
Hmm - you want the videos in a different place then the intermediate files?
My idea was to have not too much settings/paths to deal with, so the video files are automatically placed along with the intermediates. Once you are finished you can then just move the videos to the final destination and then remove the intermediates, if you don't need them anymore. I would not bother with entering pathnames manually.
I'm trying to keep the workflow as simple as possible.

Another tip: JPG intermediates are really fine - even for professional work. Since the files are then already graded, there is virtually no loss in quality and it saves you a lot of space.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 MountainWanderer
(2013-11-10, 14:29)gwegner Wrote: Hmm - you want the videos in a different place then the intermediate files?
...I'm trying to keep the workflow as simple as possible.

It does make my workflow simpler if the exported final TLs go straight to their proper location rather than having to go back and move them manually after each export ;-) OK, perhaps it's a nicety rather than an essential, but it would be very helpful!

(2013-11-10, 14:29)gwegner Wrote: Another tip: JPG intermediates are really fine - even for professional work. Since the files are then already graded, there is virtually no loss in quality and it saves you a lot of space.
Would you still say this for 4k pro export?
(This isn't destined for corporate website/U-tube end-use - the final TL is being played back on an Imax screen ;-) I'm also pretty sure my client will want to do the final grading himself...)
#4 Gunther
It always depends of what you want to do. I used JPG sequences for my last commercial project where I did the pregrading and all the dynamic stuff - the client then can make the final grading - but those 100% jpgs after the dynamic processing are really good and still allow for color adjustments afterwards. It's all a matter of cost-benefit ratio...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 MountainWanderer
(2013-11-10, 15:01)gwegner Wrote: It always depends of what you want to do.
;-) True enough!

When I've got the early ones processed, I'll try both options - tif and jpg. Currently in danger of getting myself in a knot if I start doing too many comparisons between too many alternative options at this stage (as I've also got alternatives on LR processing going on as well) so sticking with highest quality options as default - as that's what the client needs.

(But of course, if the lower quality intermediate options are indistinguishable from the higher quality ones in the end result, then that will be a welcome improvement in my workflow Smile )

...also check out: