• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sequence rendering problem

Sad
#1 kinorafilms
Hi all,

Would love some feedback on an issue I'm having. It's a pretty standard "holy grail" sunrise, with 4 discrete exposure changes. Here it is as a fresh sequence:

And here it is with the Holy Grail Wizard applied:

Fast-forward through a quick bump to contrast, a white balance correction, and a few other tweaks, and I'm back in LRT. I reload, auto-transition, do visual previews, and that's when it starts to look weird to me:

And of course, the preview plays back with corresponding hard "bumps" up and down in exposure. Alright, deflicker, maybe that will fix it. So I choose my deflicker level, and it ends up looking like:

I've circled hard exposure changes that remain, and included a shot of the file browser with the final exposure. No amount of deflickering will get rid of that bump, and while .007 might not seem huge, it's definitely enough that I can't turn it over to the client like that. Here's the rendered video, password: lrt

[Video: https://vimeo.com/169120394]

What am I missing? Is there a check-box I haven't hit, or a way to manually adjust that keyframe in LRT4? I've been using LRT since mid-2013, and until last night I haven't really had any problems in a long time. If it helps I'm on a Mac running OSX 10.11.5, LRT 4.6, Lightroom 2015.5.1. Thanks in advance for your help!
#2 Gunther
I think the problem is, that the adjustments you did are rather big, I'd recommend to use 1/3 stop adjustements.
Exifdata of the camera might be a bit inaccurate too, that's pretty normal - thus the remaining "jumps".
Visual deflicker seems to fix it pretty well, you might do a refine step to get rid of the last mini jumps.
At the end I'd set an additional keyframe where the curves starts going up, and bring down the exposure of the last frame a bit. You might do this by editing in directly in the table while you are on the last frame and visual previews are activated. Then try some values to get the last point leveled. Now apply auto transition again, let the visual previews regenerate and apply visual deflicker refine.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 kinorafilms
Hi Gunther,

Thank you for the prompt response. I'll change my cameras from 1/2 to 1/3 stop exp. adjustments for future captures, and I'll look at adjusting that last keyframe manually.

I'm still a little confused about why the visual luminance curve looks the way it does, with steps up and down, and that final big slope up. I understood the workflow of LRT3, but there are still some things about the way LRT4 presents curves, and handles exposure, that I don't quite get yet.

...also check out: