• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sequences with more than 10,000 images

#1 lalaland
Hi. I am about to begin processing a timelapse with more than 10,000 images in a single sequence and I can imagine going well past this number into the 20,000 - 30,000+ range with future projects. I remember reading (but now can't find a related forum post) that there is an upper limit of 10,000 images when working on the auto transitions and deflicker. Can anyone confirm if this is the case and if there is a work around? Should I split the sequence up into e.g. 9,500 images at a time. Ideally I would prefer to work on this in one go. 

Second question, is there any way to auto transition just the crop on a .tiff sequence or can this only be done on RAW, DNG and jpeg? 

Thanks so much for any help.
#2 rodrigo
Hi Lala, in MHO I would suggest that you split the sequence, as 10000 would take a very very long time to process. I did one with 4000 raw photos (10 minutes viewing) and it took 24 hrs to process, in the mean time the procesor, an octacore with 64Gb of memory and 2 Tb hard drive, was over heating and my pc kept warning me about the temperature being over 65 degrees C. Therefore is a good suggestion to split the sequence, it can easily be reassemble in a video editor.
Kind regards,

Rodrigo.
#3 lalaland
Thanks Rodrigo. My main concern is that there would be a little 'bump' in the crop transition when going from one part of the sequence to the next so I would prefer to do it in one go if possible. 

So I still have the question as to whether it is technically possible to make the crop transition across more than 10,000 images. Does anyone know for sure?

I'm not too worried about the LR export phase as I've tested a 6000 DNG image sequence from my Pentax 645z before and took around 10 hours. 

If anyone can confirm the above question I would be very grateful!

Best

Casey
#4 olihar
You should never crop and transition, crop does not offer very accurate numbers and it will jump all over the place.
#5 lalaland
Hi Olihar,

Thanks for your input but that is not my experience. I do the crops and colours in LR then transitions and visual previews in LRT, deflicker then back into LR for export. The cropping / ken burns effect has been perfectly smooth across as many as 6000 frames for me so I hope it's ok to restate my original questions:

1. is possible to make the crop transition across more than 10,000 images?
2. is there any way to auto transition the crop on a .tiff sequence or can this only be done on RAW, DNG and jpeg?

Many thanks!
#6 olihar
I would be curious to see a video clip from this zoom in/out crop transition from you.

Can you post a link please.
#7 lalaland
I can have multiple keyframes throughout the sequence for the various exposure, white balance etc and just the first and last keyframe with crops applied and LRT manages the transition of the crop very nicely.

https://vimeo.com/232961227
#8 lalaland
*update*

I have exported a timelapse with 12,000 frames and the crop transition works smoothly across the whole sequence. Using LRT to manage the crop allows me to keep the 4k resolution while 'zooming' in / out of the Pentax 645 files.

Thanks to Gunther for this amazing software.
#9 tobytimelapse
Wow @lalaland, that's awesome. 

I never knew you could use cropping to automate a zoom in LRT. 

I've always used Premiere to do that. It gives me a lot more flexibility if I want to change the zoom points/speed/direction etc but this is a good quick trick. Thanks for sharing!

...also check out: