• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

shooting and changing shutter speed and then processing issues

#1 hamishniven
I've been shooting stormy weather today, starting from around sunrise to about sunries + 1 hour. In that time I had to adjust the shutter speed from
1/50 to 1/800, so 4 stops of light.
During the timelapse, the clouds also made the image significantly lighter and darker.
So I now have a sequence of 800 or so images with 7 different shutter speeds.

I chose to do this rather than shoot at a constant shutter speed, having the 1st part of the sequence 2 stops under exposed and by the end of the sequence having the shots 2 stops over exposed.
If I had set an average exposure I would have had too much burn out in the whites for certain parts of the sequence and then too much of the sequence too under exposed.

Now I have to take this to edit.
Running the work flow thru LRT2 and LR4.1, i have the distinct steps which I can't remove.

I've used MATCH TOTAL EXPOSURES in LR4.1, but this is not working. What is the best way to shoot a timelapse which varies by more than 3 stops and then edit to ensure I have no steps in my final output.
I've played with multiple keyframes, but again I am not having any luck.

I've checked the forum posts, I've checked the FAQ's and threads, but I can see the problem, but I dont see how I can set LRT2 up to adjust the steps out of the sequence.

Any thoughts or ideas of suggestions of workflow would really help me as I have to start a commercial shoot in a couple of days.

Thanks

Hamish
#2 Gunther
I just made a tutorial for this, going to upload it by tomorrow.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 hamishniven
(2012-08-07, 22:47)gwegner Wrote: I just made a tutorial for this, going to upload it by tomorrow.

That is great news, I will continue to shoot like this and follow your tutorial. Is this information in your book already?

Thanks

Hamish
#4 Gunther
yes, the holy grail process is explained in detail
#5 Gunther
Here is the new Holy Grail tutorial: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-the-...imelapse-2
#6 Gunther
The tutorial is available now: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-the-...imelapse-2

If "Match total Exposures" doesn't work you could as well match the exposure of the right image by hand, normally this doesn't take much longer.

...also check out: