• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Shooting interval question

Exclamation
#1 CRobert145
Hello guys,

First of all, I'm sorry if this question has been asked before - can't really find a related thread right now.
I've been practicing timelapses for a couple of months and recently released my very first short film in the Alps.
One thing I got really frustrated about even now after two years is that I sometimes cannot shoot with a 1 second interval. If I use 2 - 3 seconds interval, it works fine.
I mean... I set the intervalometer at 1 second and after a couple of shots (or whenever the camera wants) it starts shooting at a 5 - 6 seconds interval - also showing "BUSY" on the camera screen.
Is this because of the SD card? The intervalometer? Do I need a higher speed memory card or better intervalometer? If so... what brand do you guys use to get 1s interval?
I used low speed and then upgraded to 80 Mb/s speed memory cards but it doesn't seem to do the trick.
I am really frustrated about this because I can't seem to get that smooth looking motion when using 2 - 3 seconds intervals at really fast moving clouds.
Please help! Sad

Kind regards,
Robert
#2 rodrigo
Hi Robert, 

What camera are you using?, don't forget that the camera needs time to write to the card, therefore the card has to be an Ultra fast card to be able to write to it, there are cards like the SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 280MB/s SDXC UHS-II, or SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro (515MB/Sec) CFast 2.0 Memory Card
Also another factor to consider is the buffer on your camera, that is the number of photos that the camera can stored in memory before it write to the card.
Another way would be to just take a film of the subject and speed it up in post production.

regards,

Rodrigo
#3 CRobert145
Hello Rodrigo,

Thank you for your reply.

I am using a Canon 6D.
I think I kind of understood the idea - just checked this link: http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/canon-6...omparison/
My SDXC card is not listed there though. I'm using a Sandisk Ultra 80Mb/s 64Gb.

I guess that, as listed in the link, I would need a Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC, writing at 36Mb/s, even though it has the same speed limit (80Mb/s)
Still, though... not sure if it could be the camera buffer.

Robert
#4 Gunther
The problem is that the intervalometers insist on sending an af signal that blocks the camera. Check this post: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-inte...-around-it
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 CRobert145
Thank you so much, Gunther! I also thought about the intervalometer as a possible issue, but just a tiny bit.
Will give it a try soon.

Best wishes!
#6 rodrigo
Hi Robert, I know that CF or SD cards are not cheap but you have to get a faster speed writer card 300 - 500 mb/sec at least, and as Gunther said you need to hack the intervalometer, as it wont waste time trying to focus, as you already focus prior to switch it to manual. I did hack mine intervalometer and it work a treat.

Here is a page that tell you the speeds and recomended card. http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ca...n-6dA6.HTM

regards and Merry Christmas.

Rodrigo
Rainbow
#7 CRobert145
Thanks again guys.
Happy holidays and all the best. Smile
#8 drewmey
I know this thread is a little old but just wanted to mention something for future Canon 6D users looking at this. Please remember that the Canon 6D pretty much maxes out a 34MB/s in terms of its own writing speed capabilities. Most people using this camera with magic lantern RAW video have found that increasing the SD card past 40MB/s has no effect on the cameras ability to capture or obtain data faster (video or stills). I agree with Gunther, sounds more like an intervalometer problem.

...also check out: