• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#1 alFrame
Hi there, besides my reply to another thread this is my first real one. Thank you for accepting me into this circle of knowledge and valuable information!

I am looking to get started in time-lapse photography. So I am on the lookout for gear. I also have a concrete job to create a music video where we intend to use the same hardware and maybe even do some tie-lapse for that as well.

So far my list includes the nic-o-tilt pan and tilt head. After 4 days of research I think it's the best and most sturdy pan tilt head available considering my D810 and heavy lenses. Plus it offers the ability to move the camera to the "nodal" point.

As far as sliders goes, I will probably rent the Rhino and the Syrp magic carpet from my local photography shop to gain some experience using that kind of gear.. But I am very intrigued by Benjamin's PocketSlider gear as well. From what I gather Kessler or Dynamic Perception would be the top notch gear, put pricey...

Now I am looking at controllers and I narrowed it down to Pine or Ramper-Pro.

So far I gather that Pine want's to be the all in one device that can do it all. (side note: That's always dangerous and I am kinda burnt by investing in Arsenal) Except the holy grail (exposure ramping) which has to be done with qDSLR dashboard in the loop. Meaning Pine will be able to trigger the camera solely and not deal with exposure. But it has a very solid base for motion control.

While Ramper-Pro seems to be very good on the exposure side and life preview onto a tablet, but besides the motion sensor to move the slider, pan and tilt, it seems not so strong on controlling the motors of a rig.

Since I am a noob in that area, it's absolutely possible that I am missing something. Maybe someone on this forum went through the same exploration and bought either or and would be so kind to share the experience.
#2 Gunther
I'd recommend to consider motion control and exposure ramping separately.
Both usually combine very well independently of the solution.
For exposure ramping I'd recommend qdsldashboard, which combines with any of the motion control solutions easily.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 alFrame
Thank you Gunther!

While I was watching some more tutorials from you on the topic I totally see the combination of qDSLR and Pine in my near future. I am actually just now charging my tp-link wifi router.

But a combination of RamperPro and Pine would also be a solution then? But overkill I guess. I am intrigued by the ambient sensor that comes with RamperPro Smile
#4 HaPeKa
Hi Gunther,
can you give us a hint, how to coordinate the movement of the motion controller (as PINE) and the exposure ramping with qdslr?
In one of your videos you mention the slave mode. How does ist work? With a qdslr handy with cable connection to the motion controller?
Thanks for your help!
#5 Gunther
Normally for slave mode you use a flash-sync cable which will send an impulse to the controller, whenever the camera is being released. I'm not totally sure, if the pine supports slave mode (ask the developers). If so, you can use any external intervalometer to trigger the movement.
This is totally independently from qDslrDashboard which will work in any case, since it only listens to the camera and waits for it to deliver the next shot.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#6 HaPeKa
ok, thanks ... I'll look at it and come back, if I found out how to do it ...

...also check out: