• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Single Render for Timelapse Workflow (RAW-video)

#1 tenacityinpursuit
Hey LRT friends -

I had a question about a AdobeCC/LRTimelapse workflow. What I'm envisioning here is, capturing RAW files with a Canon DSLR and trying to eliminate as many renders as possible before the final product is published. I think it might be possible to only have one Render, but I was wondering if anyone has tried this out. I've outlined each step and a note weather I think any image degradation is taking place. Not sure if that's even the right term for the loss in quality for rendering, but that's the word I'm using for the sake of this post. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Import RAW images from card using either LRTimelapse or Lightroom5 or BridgeCC - no degradation
In LRT: Initialize sequence, create xmp files - no degradation
In Either Bridge or Lightroom5 make your edits, save the edits to meta data - no degradation
Re-analyze in LRT - Ramp sequence, deflicker, etc. save changes to xmp - no degradation

Now if the project is done here - render out video (degradation) and upload to web-based publication either Vimeo or Tube (another degradation)

This is where it gets interesting. What if your sequence is part of a larger edit that contains normal 1080p video clips and you are editing in Premiere. Can you use dynamic link to save a render? If so it would proceed something like this:

Export sequence to Premiere CC via Adobe's Dynamic Link (no degradation that I'm aware of)

Export Premiere CC sequence directly to vimeo/youtube. First Degradation I'm not sure if there are two degradation steps here or just one. I can imagine there's two: PremiereCC writes the file to a temporary directory on your hard drive (#1) then uploads it (Youtube or Vimeo doing the down-grading=#2)

Would be awesome if anyone has any input. Please excuse the lengthy post Smile

Dave Katz
tenacityinpursuit.com
#2 Gunther
For what you want to do, you would need the video processor to interpret RAW+XMP sequences. AFAIK only After Effects can do this currently and even there processing/cutting/editing is slow as hell then.
That's why LRTimelapse offers ProRes 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 export. This is one of the best codecs for further processing and will come without any visible degradation. That's what the pros use. Furthermore you will still be able to cut in realtime.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 tenacityinpursuit
Thank you Gunther! It is amazing to get feedback from the man who made the software himself. Impressive! Can you imagine calling up Adobe and asking them about a workflow? LOL!

Dave
#4 alexnail
The method Gunther suggests works great although personally I prefer to export large jpegs from Lightroom and then import into after effects as an image sequence. This offers the ability to do Ken Burns movements in After Effects and still gives excellent render times. Unfortunately the export to jpeg from Lightroom always seems very slow!
#5 Gunther
Yes exporting from LR is slow. But there is no way around this.
But you can combine both workflows. If you use the LRTExport to export from Lightroom, uncheck "delete temporary sequence" - then you can either render quickly with LRT, or use the intermediate sequence (LRT_* folder) and import that one directly into After Effects as image sequence.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#6 alexnail
Definitely going to have to try that, thanks for the tip!

...also check out: