• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#1 lightpanther
Hello again. I know this is not especially an LRT question, but maybe an issue to all of us attempting timelapse. I am getting quite bad banding in certain skies (though not on ev ery sequence) and am currently having a lot of trouble getting rid of it. I have tried the usual solutions offered on the internet, such as adding grain etc, but they don't seem to work too well. (Does LRT actually auto-transition the "add grain" effect between keyframes when added in Lightroom?)

The odd thing is that this banding is NOT really visible in Lightroom when I am editing the photos, but is immediately evident in the LRT preview screen when it arrives there, and also appears on the render. It's difficult to know when it is even going to show up when I can't see it in the lightroom image. Lightroom must be using a different algorithm or whatever to display its images.

Anyway, any suggestions or tips for getting rid of this banding, which is kind of spoiling the sequences, would be wonderful. If it can be done without batch processing in photoshop all the better!
#2 Gunther
We already discussed this topic a couple of times, see here for example: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-pro...g-in-vimeo - you'll find more via the search feature.

Banding is not visible in Lightroom, because it gets introduced by the video encoder, which compresses areas of the image with few changes and details stronger then other areas. Follow the advices given in the other threads and you will be able to improve your results.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 lightpanther
Yeah, I was already reading those actually. I was already testing even right up with "high" LRT motion blur, along with adding grain in Lightroom, all of which helped some and did reduce it, though it is still visible. My concern is mainly that it is all just going to become just really awful again as soon as it is uploaded to any form of youtube or facebook or vimeo.
#4 Gunther
(2018-05-26, 21:23)lightpanther Wrote: Yeah, I was already reading those actually. I was already testing even right up with "high" LRT motion blur, along with adding grain in Lightroom, all of which helped some and did reduce it, though it is still visible. My concern is mainly that it is all just going to become just really awful again as soon as it is uploaded to any form of youtube or facebook or vimeo.
From my experience the key to less banding is to do it right when shooting: means having subjects with not too drastic changes, long exposure times (ND filter), no water directly in the foreground etc. Those are all tips that would apply anyway for a good timelapse and would help with the banding also.
The less changes between the single images you have, the more even the encoder will distribute the bandwidth on the frame, the less banding you'll get and the better the timelapse will look.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: