• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Slide and rotation intervals for smooth timelapse

#1 mcrtchly
I'm pretty happy with my timelapse from static viewpoints and I have been doing some rotating and sliding timelapses (using a Syrp Slider and the Genie head).  Occasionally I find that sliding or rotating timelapses can have a  bit of stutter. I generally calculate the number of frames from the slide distance or angle of rotation, frame rate, final duration and total capture duration (usually 500 to 700 frames). 

Does anyone use a method to calculate the number of frames based on the slide distance or angle of rotation?  For example do you have a rule of frames per a cm slide or frames per degree of rotation to avoid stutter?  I guess that any rule would also depend upon the focal length (FOV) of the lens as telephoto lenses would need smaller increments than wide angle lenses?

Martin
#2 Kaiokai
I'm wondering too how you setup your gear. I'm using the genie mini but i didn't achieve a nice result with my panning settings.

Thanks for some tips and tricks
#3 rodrigo
Hi Kaiokai,

Recently I also bought a Genie-mini. I seem to have some issues with it, like the images are not very clear and also there is some stuttering on the sequence. 
As the suggest (Syrp) I mounted my genie directly on to the tripod and then a ball-head with quick release, to mount the camera on, I am wondering if the  vibration on shutter release is transferring it to the sequence. I don't have this problem when I mount it just on the tripod and the ball head, obviously it is static. 
Have you managed to shoot a static time lapse using the genie?

kind regards,

Rodrigo
#4 Kaiokai
Hey Rodrigo

My fault was in the post process in lrtimelapse, but to achieve the best result with the genie mini you realy have to use a good tripod and hope to have not too much wind.

For static timelapse i use now a intervalometer, don't now why syrp didn't built this option in the software.
Would be a great update.

Have a good time shooting timelapse withe genie mini Smile

Kai
#5 rodrigo
Hi Kai,

The problem was to do with Motion Blur Plus in the rendering dialog, it was switch/ticked on. Here is a link to the revised timelapse, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b66WUPaH...load_owner . As you can see it was a windy day but there is hardly any movement in it.

The software for the Genie-mini does have an intervalometer in it.

kind regards,

Rodrigo
#6 crdeantonio
Isn't it also true that when incorporating motion into timelapse, you should also render out the LRT video at 30 fps?  And then, if you're assembling a video sequence in Premiere or After Effects, you could reinterpret that footage down to say 23.976 (if that's what sequence settings are)?  I think I read someplace that this was a "best practice."  Anyone have thoughts on that?

...also check out: