• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

"Slider" effect in post - best practices?

#1 Novelectro
Hi,

I don't yet have a slider but I recently did about 20 timelapses on a trip to SE Asia and I'd like to bring up my production by doing some sliding in post.

What I'm curious about is - does it look better to crop within LRtimelapse via keyframes (E.G. start on the left, end to the right) or does it look better to create that movement in Adobe Premiere Pro in the video itself?
#2 Gunther
You can do it in LRTimelapse, but I'd recommend doing such effects in Premiere Pro. See my faq: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-kern-burns-effect

But please be aware, that you will never be able to really simulate a "slider". The problem is, that you won't get any additional depth when doing ken burns in software. While the slider moves the camera in real 3D space, and therefore gives you a nice parallax effect, that adds the desired depth, adding a pan and zoom in post won't do so. It should only be done for scenes without a strong foreground, because otherwise they will not only not add the depth, but might instead look artificial.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Novelectro
Thanks, Gunther.  You're the man.

...also check out: