• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sony A7SII - Problem with integrated Lens Profile in LR

#1 pgreuter
Hi,

I recently shot a Timelapse with the A7SII / Canon 24-70 f/2.8 / Commlite EF to E-Mount Adapter.

After the import into Lightroom CC Classic, there is a small explanation mark in the lens correction setting which says that an integrated lens profile is applied. Altough I have never seen that before, it seems that the A7SII writes that into the raw file. You can enable these settings in the camera menu.

Normally, that wouldn't be much of a problem but in my case, it is one because:

1.) The lens profile is wrong. It says: DT 0mm F0 SAM
2.) The profile is not applied to every photo. There are two gaps in the middle of the Timelapse sequence where the profile is missing for a bunch of pictures.

Even when I manually choose the correct lens profile in LR, you can clearly see a difference in the images, especally in lens distortion and vignetting. According to what I have found online, it seems that there is no way to change this internal lens profile.

I know that this is not a LRTL issue but maybe someone here can tell me, how I can fix this problem.
[size=large]pascalgreuter.com[/size]
Photography + Motion Graphics
#2 Gunther
Do you see the lens profile appear in the table LRTimelapse (you might have to untick "Hide Equal Columns") - is the lens profile always the same in that column? Do you see any differences in the images in the table between the images where the profile is applied and those where not?
You might as well send me a couple of those photos, then I can check if Adobe introduced some new metadata-key for the internal lens correction. Please use https://fromsmash.com/ to send or similar.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 pgreuter
Yes, I can clearly see a difference in the images. It seems that the integrated Lens Profile corrects the Vignette. In LRT, I can't see any difference. I have compared the two files with ExifTool and there you can see the difference. There are 3 tags called Vignetting Corr Params, Chromatic Aberration Corr Params and Distortion Corr Params with different values for each file.
#4 Gunther
Would you please be so kind and send me at least one of those files via https://fromsmash.com/ to support(at)lrtimelapse(dot)com
#5 pgreuter
Hi Gunter, I have sent you two files via Smash to support@lrtimelapse.com a few minutes ago. Have you received them?
#6 Gunther
Hi Pascal,
for me this looks like as if the camera hasn't properly and consistently written those internal correction infos to all files. Unfortunately that info is nothing related to Lightroom or LRTimelapse, it's proprietary camera stuff written to proprietary exif tags. Lightroom might or might not interpret this - but of course it's counter productive for time lapse, if in some images you find that information and in others not.
I'd suggest to turn off doing that in camera lens correction in the camera to avoid such problems in the future.
I'm very sorry, but since this is not something stored in the XMP files, I cannot do too much to fix it for you in LRTimelapse.

I'd recommend to use ExifTool to remove those tags from your existing sequences, this should get you going with them.
#7 pgreuter
Thanks for checking this out, Gunther.

I just made another test with all the parameters turned off in the camera menu but the result is exactly the same. In some pictures, there is an integrated lens profile and in some it is missing. This is very strange but I read somewhere on the web that this is happening. I will talk to someone from Sony about this issue.
#8 Gunther
Yes, definitely reach out to the Sony support, if this really turns out to be a bug in the camera, it could be a deal breaker for time lapse photographers. Please keep me posted.
If nothing else works, I could add a feature to LRTimelapse to strip that data from the files via exiftool.

Posted mobile via Tapatalk...

...also check out: