• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sony Holy Grail Timelapse Method

#1 TylersJourney
I'm trying to find out what the shortest distance between exposure time and interval can be with the Sony A7riii? I was playing around with my Sony A7Riii today and was using an 8 second interval, once my exposure time reached 2 seconds I was no longer able to change my camera settings manually with the holy grail method. So that means once you hit 6 seconds between the exposure time and interval the camera settings cannot be changed. I feel like this is a really long period? There has to be a way to shorten this interval. I have a 300mbps card as well.

I am using the Neewer wired intervalometer.
#2 Gunther
Did you use an external intervalometer? You should. Best would be to "hack" the AF wire for maximum performance as described here: https://lrtimelapse.com/news/intervalometer-hack/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Benobiwahn
(2018-03-18, 20:33)gwegner Wrote: Did you use an external intervalometer? You should. Best would be to "hack" the AF wire for maximum performance as described here: https://lrtimelapse.com/news/intervalometer-hack/
I'm having similar issues. Am using the pixel intervalometer you spoke about in your videos and did an auto holy grail last night. Max ss=20" at an interval of 25".
1st issue: everytime I get to max ss (not just yesterday), lrt won't ramp up iso (I can do it manually through the interface of QDDB though) - this also happened with my old eos 60d btw - from what I've read in other threads the 5sefonds should be enough?!
2nd issue: sometimes the picture count stops and no more previews are displayed i.e. luminance values won't be updated anymore. It seems like the app freezes although I can skip through it and it still shows me "connected to a7riii" only quitting and restarting application helps

I would do the af hack on the pixel but don't know how to measure which one is the AF cable. Since unlike Nikon and Canon intervalometers Sony uses the micro USB connector (but I also read in a other thread that the hack didn't help - this again goes in line with my experience from my eos 60d where the intervalometer hack didn't help to enable ramping up iso automatically)

It would be amazing if you could help me out, since I love those two apps and would enjoy using them properly so much!

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk
#4 Gunther
If the images doesn't get transferred anymore, the app cannot analyze the histogram anymore and will eventually stop ramping.
It all depends on the setup, how much seconds "darktime" you need, in order to get the app analyzing the histogram.
With my Nikon D750 I can get down to 1 Second Dark time, but that's under ideal conditions, hacked intervalometer, very small previews etc.
I have no experience with sony - but the A7RIII produces huge files so make sure especially, that the previews that are going to be transferred (the JPGs) will be as small as possible in order to save time when transferring those.
You'll have to experiment on how to get the shortest dark times, do that at home, not on location.
#5 Benobiwahn
(2018-03-25, 14:18)gwegner Wrote: If the images doesn't get transferred anymore, the app cannot analyze the histogram anymore and will eventually stop ramping.
It all depends on the setup, how much seconds "darktime" you need, in order to get the app analyzing the histogram.
With my Nikon D750 I can get down to 1 Second Dark time, but that's under ideal conditions, hacked intervalometer, very small previews etc.
I have no experience with sony - but the A7RIII produces huge files so make sure especially, that the previews that are going to be transferred (the JPGs) will be as small as possible in order to save time when transferring those.
You'll have to experiment on how to get the shortest dark times, do that at home, not on location.
Thanks for your quick response!
But I've already used the smallest jpg available ("JPG Quality" - Std and "JPG Size" - 11M)

Is there a way to actually measure the dark time? Or is it trial and error?

Do you know a way of finding the af wire on the Sony cable of the pixel intervalometer? I don't wanna buy three and go through all options

#6 Gunther
Getting the shortest darktime is all about experimenting with your camera. It depends on how fast wifi transmission is, which intervalometer you are using etc.
To find out the af signal, just buy a connection cable, you could use trial and error. Cut all three wires, connect two again, try, if the cam doesn't release try other two. You'll need max 3 tries :-)
It's explained in my article about the hack also.
#7 Benobiwahn
(2018-03-25, 15:59)gwegner Wrote: Getting the shortest darktime is all about experimenting with your camera. It depends on how fast wifi transmission is, which intervalometer you are using etc.
To find out the af signal, just buy a connection cable, you could use trial and error. Cut all three wires, connect two again, try, if the cam doesn't release try other two. You'll need max 3 tries :-)
Thanks for responding. I'll have a go at it this evening again Smile

#8 Benobiwahn
(2018-03-25, 15:59)gwegner Wrote: Getting the shortest darktime is all about experimenting with your camera. It depends on how fast wifi transmission is, which intervalometer you are using etc.
I've done a little testing now on the a7r iii and the lrt feature of QDDB:

1. Even with an interval as long as 21" and a maximum shutter speed as little as 1" it will never ramp the iso in auto hg sunset mode (max iso is set to 3200) It keeps track of the frames though, it keeps displaying every first frame of the three used to calculate luminance average and it calculates the average luminance.
Now the weirdest part is, that in sunrise mode, it ramps down the iso...with same settings as above under which Ive tested the auto hg sunset mode.

2. The other problem that I've been talking about, that the pictures are not being displayed after a certain amount of time: In my test I did a 1"shutter speed with a 4" interval, so 3" in between each shot, all with the pixel intervalometer (without the hack). Once QDDB kept track of 319 frames until it lost it and didn't show any new pictures and luminance values. Another time it stopped after about 20 frames with the same settings. Where is that variety coming from?

I hope my results can tell you something. Its really weird that iso ramping works in sunrise mode but doesn't in sunset mode, isn't it? The thing with the varying number of frames also keeps me irritated.
Do you have any input on that? It would be greatly appreciated!

#9 Gunther
I guess this is something you have to discuss with the developer of qDDB, mayber there is still something wrong with the support of your camera. I've never experienced something similar.
#10 hubaiz
Be sure that after you enter the LrTimelapse screen you set all the values before you enable AHG. So if the min ISO is by default set to 100 you press the min ISO button and set the value to 100. This is a Sony late initialization problem and the next version will contain a fix for this.

...also check out: