• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How to manage noise

#1 Joe_Belanger
Hi all

Was wondering what people's techniques are for noise reduction when shooting at 3200 ISO (or higher) on the Milky Way? Are you using Lightroom or some other plugin to help? If in LR what are you setting luminance to and sharpness? I output a night to day and the stars were "mosquitos" all over the screen but I was using Quicktime to view it. I'm really looking for a preferred method within Lightroom first, but am open to third party solutions. I have been pulling TL into Final Cut Pro X and using Neat Video, but I would rather get it in the native software like LR.

That leads me to another question. Is there a preferred video player for the Mac other than QT that plays back better quality? It's hard to tell, sometimes, what my output really looks like; I don't know if its the crummy player or my post.

Thanks.

Joe
#2 Gunther
Mostly I do everything in Lightroom. Lightroom's Noise Reduction is quite decent, and you can keframe it such as applying it less while you are shooting with lower ISO and then increasing it for the high ISOs.

QT is indeed not the player of choice. It's slow and not color managed, so it might render wrong colors. Give VLC-Player a try. Most likely there are other options on Mac too. On PC I recommend MPC-Player. See: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-the...htroom-lrt
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Melani
What level of noise reduction do you use at say ISO 6400?
#4 Gunther
That of course totally depends on you camera, the exposure and the subject. Just add as much as you need. Make sure to judge it in 1:1 zoom mode.

Mobile via Tapatalk.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: