• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stabilizing tips

#1 reinier
Hi guys!

I'm sorta new to timelapses and created a first one some time ago. So, I made a motion on a camera dolly and have around 5 sec worth of video footage. It was al done of a smooth surface. Creating a video (without flickering) turns out to be quite easy.

The thing I could use some tips for is getting the video stable. I started with motion stabilizing in After Effects, but my experience now is that instead of the point of focus in the middle, I shift the wobbling effect to the outer edges. Rendering and than Warp Stabilizer (maybe twice even) works quite a bit but it still isn't exactly what I'm aiming for. What would you guys recommend to get the video stable? Should I do something earlier in the process?

Thanks in advance,
Reinier
#2 Gunther
Yes, best when shooting! Correcting shaking in post is always a hassle...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 reinier
(2013-05-23, 01:18)gwegner Wrote: Yes, best when shooting! Correcting shaking in post is always a hassle...

Ok, well there is no real shaking actually. The pictures are all taken from a rolling tripod on the same height. Let me show you this example clip - low quality: https://vimeo.com/67492420 (password: lrtimelapse)

I've run the shots through LR and in AFX applied motion stabilize with motion tracker. What you'd reckon I might improve or change?
#4 Gunther
It says "no permisson to watch that video".
#5 reinier
(2013-06-02, 17:14)gwegner Wrote: It says "no permisson to watch that video".

Oh crap! Forgot to press the save button last time... it should be working now!
#6 Gunther
You never have a guarantee that the motion stabilitzing will work... Just try different settings - unfortunately there is not so much I can say about that. I had some walking lapse sequences that worked pretty well, others I was not able to stabilize at all.. Sad
#7 reinier
(2013-06-03, 18:02)gwegner Wrote: You never have a guarantee that the motion stabilitzing will work... Just try different settings - unfortunately there is not so much I can say about that. I had some walking lapse sequences that worked pretty well, others I was not able to stabilize at all.. Sad

Just need to do a lot of shots huh? And some of 'em will work out?
#8 Gunther
Take care when adjusting the camera! Hyper Lapse shooting is really technical, check out this guest post: http://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-berl...ab-behzumi

...also check out: