• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Standalone use of qDSLRDashboard

#1 steinardo
I've had a few years pause from timelapse photography and want to pick it up again. While I understand there are benefits of using qDD with the LRT Pro timer, my experience from 5 years back is that qDD worked flawlessly on my old Android phone without a separate timer. Do any of you have experience that this is still the case? I understand that the risk of dropped frames etc. may be higher, but that has not been my experience from the past.

I can't seem to get qDD to work on my old Android phone any longer, and with the current lack of IOS support I might need to buy a new one. But a confirmation that it is still a stable product on Android would be helpful. I have tried asking about the support of older Android versions on the qDD forum, but it seems like there is little activity there.

This one was done with qDD alone on an EOS 40D (yes, I am annoyed by the two dust spots - might to a reprocessing ;-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/steinardo/25354068495/

Appreciate any help Smile
#2 Gunther
I use qDDB on various Android devices. Usually, there is no problem with compatibility. I don't know exactly which is the minimum Android version required (asked Zoltan, will let you know when I have answer), but it should work with any device that's not "stoneage"...
There is a built in intervalometer - from my experience it's not really accurate and of course, if qDDB exits or fails for any reason, then also the triggering will stop. That's why I always recommend using an external intervalometer.
Of course, you don't need to go all in with the LRT PRO Timer, you can also use a cheap and simple intervalomter, however you won't have the really short dark times (performance) that the LRT PRO Timer recommends.

So in my opinion the best option is the LRTPT with qDDB, second best a simple intervalometer with qDDB and the third best qDDB stand alone with the internal timer.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Gunther
Got response from Zoltan about the Android versions:
Quote:For ARM the minimum is SDK 16, Android 4.1
For ARM64 the minimum is SDK 21, Android 5.0
#4 steinardo
Thanks for the quick response. Can't figure out which ARM version I have, but it is kind of "stoneage" ;-)
#5 Gunther
Go to settings / about your phone and it should tell you the android number. Most likely it won't be 64bit.

...also check out: