• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Star rotation when shooting less than 15secs? Or something else?

#11 MountainWanderer
Thanks Smile You've just reminded me I intended to post a link to the very short TL I created from last night... vimeo.com/88242826 (You'll almost certainly need to cut and paste the link, rather than click direct though...)
#12 bilgebay
Good one! Lots of planes though! Wow! What a traffic!
#13 itit
Hi!

I have a question concerning shooting a time lapse of moving stars, and I didn't find it necessary to make a new thread. So here is my question:

When shooting a single photo of stars I usually try to use shutter times less than 20 seconds to avoid motion blur. But how important is this when shooting a time lapse? I wonder if a bit of motion blur in a time lapse of moving stars is as unwelcome as it is in a single photo.
Would you suggest to shoot with a bit longer shutter time (e.g., about 25-30 seconds) in order to be able to use a lower ISO or a smaller aperture, or would you recommend the same hints as for a single photo?
#14 Gunther
Hi Itit, a bit of motion blur does not harm, it's more a question how fast you want the stars to move - I suggest just trying it out. It depends on your sensor as well, how high you can go with the ISO without sacrificing quality. It's always a tradeoff...
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#15 itit
Thank you for your reply.

Ok, it's good to know that a bit of motion blur should not harm. Yes, the speed in the video is another important point. I think I'll try out at night soon with an interval of 25 or 30 seconds and shutter time of 20 or 25 seconds, respectively. Depending on the scene.

Thank you again for your quick help.
#16 scotchtape
Rokinon 14mm F2.8... all day everyday.

...also check out: