• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Strange error happening to several sequences.

#1 jorn-t
Hi!

I have experienced strange behaviour using LRTimelapse Pro 5.02.

File numbering, interval and even file pixel sizes has been mixed up in the program.
For example, I have a sequence from Goblin Valley in Utah, where all pictures are nicely numbered, all file sizes are 6000x4000 pixels, and interval is about 2-3 seconds between frames. If you look at the picture below (#1), some files are displayed with a different pixel size, and file numbering is mixed up. Interval is all messed up. Seems like files from half of the sequence has been mixed with a different sequence or something, because some of the other sequences have that other pixel size, taken with a different camera. As you can see, file sizes are no longer in alphabetical order.

After deleting .xmp files and reloading, pixel sizes are now OK. But interval is still mixed up. (screenshot #2)

Restarting the program and deleting the .lrt folder, finally the sequence seem to be OK again. (screenshot #3)

FYI, I'm using a lot of batch processing, visual previews and deflickering. My best guess is that an array of Java objects are filled with data from a different sequence, data which remains when the next sequence is process, and that something is mixed up during the batch processing.

A different thing I've experienced is that the visual preview window refuses to open as a stand alone window.

The third error I've experienced is that sometimes, LRTimelapse won't start again after I've shut it down. I need to restart my computer to be able to start it up again.

I will tell you if the error in the screenshots is reproducable, but it has happened on two of my sequences yesterday.
#2 jorn-t
Another bug Big Grin
I'm unable to post screenshots to the forum!?
#3 jorn-t
Retry with JPEG compressed screenshots.. Smile
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#4 jorn-t
Same error again, in a different sequence. See how all the properties, like aperture, shutter speed and everything has been mixed up. Looking in the file folder, I find 412 .xmp files, while the sequence is 189 RAW files only.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#5 jorn-t
Deleting all .xmp files except the one for the first image in the sequence gives this result:

First image ends up last in the sequence, with wrong properties (width, height and everything)
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#6 Gunther
Normally this shouldn't happen, calling the external programs like ExifTool to read the Exif Date is much more robust in LRT5 then in LRT4. I couldn't make this happen anymore. However, I suggest, when you load a sequence for the first time, that you wait until the Exif-Data has been transferred, go though the first workflow row and save before doing further steps. The intervals will be calculated from the Date/Time that comes from the Exif Data.
If something is scrambled you can always start over by right clicking on the Folder in the tree and "Clear all LRT editing".

If you did that and it happens again, please send me the log file after it happens (info menu).

If LRT cannot be restartet, most likely it's an ExifTool process hanging, you can kill it via Task-Manager.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#7 jorn-t
As you can see from the screenshots, not only the date/time is wrong, but also parameters as height, width, aperture and so on. All images on the sequences above are 6000×4000 but as you can see, LRTimelapse displays a different resolution on some of the images.

Deleting all xmp files and .lrt folder corrected the problem. 

I'll try to reproduce the error if it happens again. I did jump back and forth between the clips a bit, and did a lot of batch preview generation. I also hit the save button after doing transitions.

With six Coffee Lake CPU cores it is sometimes tempting to work on several clips at once.. :-)
#8 Gunther
Yes, this is all being done by exiftool.
It's okay to work on different clips at once. The best and most efficient (and safe) workflow for multiple sequences would be to work as I've demonstrated in this tutorial, check it out:

https://vimeo.com/255622288
#9 jorn-t
Some more info about the bug, which may lead to solving the error:

.xmp files have been saved into wrong folders all over the place, and that explains more or less everything.

I shoot with two or three cameras, which makes file numbering overlap sometimes. So, if I've shot two sequences (fictional numbers)

1: Camera X, File numbers 2000-2200, 18 megapixel
2: Camera Y, File numbers 2100-2300, 24 megapixel

Now, if LRTimelapse opens sequence 1 (file 2000-2200), and THEN, because of a bug, saves .xmp files into the folder where sequence #2 resides, .xmp files for half of the files will be overwritten with info from the first sequence.

Have a look at the enclosed screenshots, where .xmp files from different sequences have been put in the wrong folders. In those three cases below, however, no .xmp files were overwritten (file numbers didn't overlap), so the bug didn't cause any harm - just that some .xmp files are placed in the wrong folder.

Regards,
- Jørn T
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#10 Gunther
Ok, I see. Due to the nature of the multithreading and call of external tools in LRT, it could be that if you work on files with the same names in different folders, at the same time something might get wrong. Still I have no definite idea, how this can happen, but maybe it does.

Normally people use the renaming feature in the LRTimelapse importer, there are so many other reasons to have distinct filenames.

And especially when working with two cameras, I'd suggest to always rename the files when importing with the Date/Time prefix. This will avoid such problems.
You can rename sequences that already are imported and loaded as well with the F2 key.

...also check out: