• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sunrise-Matheson January 11,2021-A New Year, a New Day

Photo
#1 Dale Davis
There is a city park near my house where I often go to seek calm and peace. It overlooks the Biscayne Bay Aquatic Preserve, which leads to the Atlantic Ocean. It faces east and is a perfect place to film sunrises.The shoreline is dotted with mangrove trees with many roots, and shore birds. Some of the sunrises are dull, but this morning's sunrise was truly a work of art by nature! The sky burst forth with a dramatic display of gorgeous reds, oranges, and blues. Sun rays came and left.

Black plumes of smoke appear during the video which I later learned from our local newspaper was a fire destroying one of the last remaining Stiltsville homes in Biscayne Bay dating back to the 1930's. See last paragraph.

This was filmed using the following gear;
Timelapse sequences done with Nikon D750 body, Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6 lens set at f/8. No filter
Timelapse interval was 5 seconds, shutter varied by light.
Really Right Stuff Tripod
Drone footage- DJI Mavic 2 Pro, on Hyperlapse mode, saved to RAW files and processed with LRTimelapse 5 software, courtesy of the brilliant Gunther Wegner.
Other footage and still images using the DJI Osmo Action camera on a Manfrotto mini-tripod, the Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max.
Image processing- Adobe Photoshop CC2021.
Video processing- Adobe Premiere Pro CC2021,
@4 K, H.265 using iMAC and proxies.

Little did I realize that the plumes of black smoke shown in my video were NOT those of a ship, but of a fire in one of the few remaining homes in Stiltsville that I inadvertently photographed. When I saw the Miami Herald Tuesday morning, I found the article by David Goodhue, “Biscayne National Park, Fire destroys one of the remaining homes in Stiltsville.” Stiltsville was a community of elevated houses built in the middle of Biscayne Bay that dates to the 1930’s. In the 1960’s Stiltstville had 27 structures, but was ravaged by Hurricane Betsy in 1965, and by 1992, only 14 structure remained. In that year, the number was reduced to 7 thanks to Hurricane Andrew. These homes survived Hurricane Irma in 2017. The remaining homes were deeded by the State of Florida to Biscayne National Park and cannot be rebuilt. The cause of the blaze was unknown at the time of the Monday article.

https://vimeo.com/500589597

...also check out: