• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Support for HDR Tiff and DNG files

#1 Joachim Buambeki
Hi Gunther,

since ACR 7.1 finally supports HDR files, it would be nice to be able to process them in LRT. :-)

Is that feature on the horizon?

David
Vimeo <<->> flickr
#2 Gunther
Could you send me one or two HDR DNG files?
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Joachim Buambeki
To be honest I just wrote DNG because it is mentioned in the release notes of ACR 7.1. I wasn't even aware that HDR DNGs exist, though AFAIK DNG is just a container format like tiff but with embedded sidecar files (you can put JPEGs into DNG too).

I guess you don't need HDR tiffs?
Vimeo <<->> flickr
#4 Gunther
No, I'm not going to support tiff. Every tiff can be converted into DNG so DNG is the way to go. I suppose you would be able to just feed HDR DNGs into LRTimelapse and go but I haven't tested it.

Especially the new ability of LR4 to apply a lossy compression to DNG whilst preserving the whole RAW abilities is a killer feature that makes DNG really, really appealing for time lapse photographers.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 Joachim Buambeki
Just trying to create HDR DNGs, but I am somewhat unsuccesful as the DNG converter doesn't read my files.
Will try again in the next days and give you an update.

David
Vimeo <<->> flickr
#6 Joachim Buambeki
Has anyone had success in creating those HDR DNGs? When I try to convert EXR or 32bit TIFF files with the DNG converter I always get an the message that they can't be parsed.
Vimeo <<->> flickr
#7 frank
Are you realy sure that this works ?
The Point they makes me confused is that DNG files have different greyscale informations and the Bayer Area or not ?
Real HDR Files(32bit)works with RGB Channels and has no Sensor Data's to make an reverse engineering so how can it works ?
Because RAW Files are Sensor Data's with a JPEG Prewiew and HDR's are real Pictures with RGB Cannels ?
#8 Joachim Buambeki
AFAIK DNG ist just another container that can be filled with different kinds of images.
Unaltered bayer sensor data is obviously the most common kind of image in this container, but you can also put in regular jpegs or bitmap images into the container, so having the possibility to put in linear floating point images in RGB or YUV format makes sense.

BUT I haven't succeeded in doing so with the DNGconverter, even though this posts suggests it possible:
"Supported HDR formats are TIFF and DNG"

I am not aware there are HDR cameras that record directly to DNG, maybe Adobe is talking about them?

Anyway, it would be best if Adobe would just support openEXR to save alot of space and many people alot of headache instead of trying to replace an industry standard like openEXR...
Vimeo <<->> flickr
#9 screamer
hi,
i think it's not possible to have a 32bit hdr dng. Only tiff, hdr or exr are enabled to support the 32bit (or at least that's what i know).
So no way. the only way should be to use the tiff, but it's unsupported by lrtimelapse. There's any chance to add the support soon or later? because i'm very often managing a lot of tiff (especially 32bit tiff) and find that tiff support would be great
#10 screamer
After some days of trying in every way, i don't find a way to produce a hdr dng. Lightroom support only the tiff 32bit as hdr files. I know what you think about hdr, and i don't know how can be difficult to implement the tiff32bit in LRTimelapse, but just in this moment, i'm taking an hdr timelapse, of the moon passing behind some trees with a 300mm. This, for example, is a case where only with hdr you can capture the details on the moon and still see the silouhette of the tree.
So when i finished i need to enfuse every 3bracket in a hdr file (a tiff32bit for example). Then going into lightroom and tonemap all the hdrs frames and convert it in dng (after tone mapping) so then i can apply all the magic of LRTimalapse. The main problem here, is that the results should be way better if i could do the tonemapping directly using all the magic keyframing stuff of RLTimelapse. I mean, with the tiff32 in lightroom you have the same controls that you have with the raw or the jpgs, but for example the exposure range is from -10 to +10 instead that -5 and +5.
And the same for other controls over lights and shadows. This also means a lot more power correcting flickers and other light variations, because you have all the exposures of the scene for every frame, so you can correct way better the holy grail effect and all the rest, and you are shure that every frame has all the possible exposures for that scene.
So definitively yes, i'm love the idea that in a future version of LRTimelapse will be the support of tiff hdr files.

gwegner, if you will change idea, and you will go to support that files, let me know if you need some samples to try with, else, i will continue with my old, more time consuming, more imprecise and less powerful method Wink)
cheers

...also check out: