• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

SW USA off the beaten tracks

#1 anna
Time-lapsing can be full of surprises even weeks after you made them. Starting editing these time lapses I discovered a nice surprise (at 4:01) - maybe Phil Plait can help me out with an explanation. Also why there is this greenish glowing at 3:15 - it's not post edited.
http://vimeo.com/82475473
#2 dreamingof8a
(2013-12-22, 18:58)anna Wrote: Also why there is this greenish glowing at 3:15 - it's not post edited.

Nice video! Just traveled in that area myself this year - awesome!
I'm pretty sure you got a glimpse of the Northern LIghts that night. I myself was out shooting in Arches NP when half the sky turned red. As it turned out later, it had been a weekend of extraordinarily high sun activity, hence Borea Aurealis could be seen very far south.
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#3 anna
(2013-12-24, 21:41)dreamingof8a Wrote:
(2013-12-22, 18:58)anna Wrote: Also why there is this greenish glowing at 3:15 - it's not post edited.

I'm pretty sure you got a glimpse of the Northern LIghts that night. I myself was out shooting in Arches NP when half the sky turned red. As it turned out later, it had been a weekend of extraordinarily high sun activity, hence Borea Aurealis could be seen very far south.

Hi, thanks.
No, it was not the aurora borealis. After several feedbacks including from an astrophysics expert it was an air glow phenomenon.
#4 dreamingof8a
(2013-12-25, 13:33)anna Wrote:

Hi, thanks.
No, it was not the aurora borealis. After several feedbacks including from an astrophysics expert it was an air glow phenomenon.
I stand corrected then Smile However, as a physicist myself, I'd be interested to know what effect they were talking about - do you remember?
#5 anna
(2013-12-25, 14:24)dreamingof8a Wrote:
(2013-12-25, 13:33)anna Wrote:

Hi, thanks.
I stand corrected then Smile However, as a physicist myself, I'd be interested to know what effect they were talking about - do you remember?
It's the so called "air glow"

...also check out: