• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Technique for rescuing a badly flickering timelapse..

Question
#1 WhitcombeRD
Im after some advice here on how to possible rescue a timelapse that went wrong....

Basically its a sunrise shot using Holy Grail, qDSLR Dashboard. The timelapse itself worked BUT the software was not ramping anywhere near aggressively enough to keep up with the light levels.
This resulted on me having to manually adjust exposures due the shoot (sometimes by 1 stop increments at a time) to avoid burning things out.

Im using LRT5 and have imported the sequence (visual workflow). Ive used auto keyframe (and created a lot more than default).
The problem appears to be even with auto transition its not smoothly coping for the extra exposure changes i can see on the actual video Its done it for some but not all.
The result is the final sequence pulses or flickers (not flicker in the traditional sense, its just exposure changes not being smoothed).

Looking at the list on image and scrolling across i an clearly see where changes have been made and not auto smoothed so im wondering if theres a way, manually or otherwise to adjust these to make it smooth?

Ive attached 2 screenshots to highlight the issue. In the first you can see the dip when the aperture was changed but not smoothed. The second is the same area of the image list where you an see it dips then a bit later brightens again as the shutter speed was changed.

Ultimately, is there a way to automatically or manually smooth these transitions ?
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#2 Gunther
Since the pink curve is smooth, deflicker worked as it should. What you see is contrast flicker, that Lightroom introduced due to heavy editing with non linear tools. https://lrtimelapse.com/news/use-the-new...me-lapses/
That means, use rather the tone curve than Whites/Blacks/Shadows/Highlights/Dehaze/Clarity - and make sure to also set a reference area for deflicker. Check out my tutorial to learn about the reference area!
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 WhitcombeRD
The only edits as such are a medium tone curve and an exposure reduction (which is the same throughout, not changing).

(ive set a reference for deflicker on the sky but as you said, its not the standard cause of flicker here, more like its failed to transition for the rapid, sometimes big exposure changes.)
#4 Gunther
If course I was only guessing, because I have no more information from you. Please upload the video somewhere and post a full screenshot of the LRT screen and preview, maybe a can say more then.

Sent mobile...
#5 WhitcombeRD
I'll do that later. (Internet is even slower than usual here due to nobody working...)
#6 WhitcombeRD
OK it finally uploaded:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1VqVUEK...e=youtu.be

The exposure changing flickering is clear to see (as above deflicker itself worked but this is a different type).

About the video itself, the only adjustments are a medium contrast tone curve, a fixed -0.8 stop exposure throughout and a fixed -0.4 stop ND grad on the sky throughout (so no changing transitioning on keyframes etc).

Ive attached images of the attempt to straighten the holy grail curve (and it does look like holy grail frames are applied every time the exposure changes).

Deflicker was run and its worked in that the line is smooth..
Attached Files
Thumbnail(s)

#7 Gunther
That's not flicker. From what I see you have severely blown highlights - at the beginning in the red channel, later in all channels.
No software in the world can recover areas in images, that are blown - because they are just not there. The information is lacking.
See this faq: https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-pum...6#pid36576
Next time expose less - always take care of the RGB histogram. No channel should be blown.
I've explained this extensively in my book also: https://lrtimelapse.com/buy/ebook/
#8 WhitcombeRD
Theyre not actually blown (in any channel) on the RAW files themselves, this was a quick edit with absolute minimal changes to show the issue to make it faster. The pulsing issue happens on all edits and recoveries and corresponds to manual exposure changes on top of the failed holy grail ramping.
So this file yes they look blown but it appears the same on the videos made from the edited raws that arent.

The exposure issues are a result of qDSLR failing totally to adjust anywhere near fast enough to cope with the sunrise resulting in many manual changes on top of it. Which is now causing the pulsing.

...also check out: