• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

TIFF export gives JPEG files with .TIF extension with Lightroom 9

#1 jorn-t
LRTimelapse 5.3.1
Lightroom 9
DNG Converter 12

I guess you're already addressing problems introduced with Lightroom 9, but one issue I just found is that TIFF export gives me 2.5 MB JPEG files with original resolution (45 mpix), no matter what resolution I choose. I tried to export to 4k UHD 16-bit TIFF files.

When I export, the files get a correct .TIF extension, but they seem to be actual JPEG files and I'm unable to render the files to video, getting these errors:

[2019-11-05 02:10:11] DEBUG: [tiff @ 000001ac21b85f80] Invalid TIFF header
[2019-11-05 02:10:11] DEBUG: Error while decoding stream #0:0: Invalid data found when processing input

LRT JPEG export are possible to render, but file dimensions are not correct, I get the same 2.5 MB, 45 megapixel files and not 4k when exporting to JPEG.

Kind regards,
- Jørn
#2 Gunther
I can confirm that the TIFF export from LRExport is broken in Lightroom 9.

Currently exporting anything else than JPG from a custom plugin doesn't seem to work. And even JPGs get exported in low quality, that means users of the LRTimelapse Private and Free are also affected.

Update: After further investigation indeed it seems to be a bug in the new Lightroom. I even found another report of the issue in the Adobe Forum.
I've submitted an example and asked them to investigate and fix: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop...y_20331102

Meanwhile, Adobe acknowledged the bug.

Although I cannot fix Adobes bug, I created two workaround presets, that you can use, if you already updated to LR 9. See my blog post:

https://lrtimelapse.com/news/lightroom-9...rt-plugin/

Let's hope, that Adobe fixes the problem soon.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 jorn-t
Thanks for the info. Guess I'll just export JPEG's for now, I'm in the process of editing 300 000 photos, and I'm going to need the multiple folder TIFF export in a few weeks /months when editing is complete, there are 6-700 sequences waiting in line. Love the possibility to be able to export 20-30 or more sequences overnight Smile
#4 Gunther
As soon as Adobe reacts, I'll let you know.
#5 boomstick
Thanks for looking into this Gunther.

I have LRTimelapse 5.3.1 (Private) and work with a jpg intermediary workflow.
Having updated to Lr 9 & DNG converter 12, I wanted to test how the jpg export was affected by this Lr 9 bug.

To test, I re-exported a short experimental sequence I shot and edited only a few days ago in Lr 8.4.1.
The LRT export plugin was set to the "LRT (JPG, Ori)" preset for both the original export from Lr 8.4.1 and the new test export from Lr 9.0.

In the original exported sequence from Lr 8.4.1, the jpgs were exported at original size: 5184 x 3456 (EOS 7D) with a file size ranging from 4.5 to 7.1 MB.

In the new Lr 9 test export, the jpgs are exported at original size: 5184 x 3456, however, file sizes are reduced significantly, ranging from 0.8 to 1.5 MB.

I then did a further test in Lr 9 to test resizing for 4K export. I set the LRTimelapse export plugin to the "LRT (JPG, 4K)" preset to see if the jpg intermediary files would be correctly resized. They were not. The exported jpgs remained at the native (original) 5184 x 3456 dimensions, with file sizes again very low at 0.8 to 1.5 MB.

Like jorn-t found when he tried jpg export producing 4.5 MB, 45 megapixel files without 4K resizing, it looks like jpg export also ignores settings and applies default/heavy compression.

Hope Adobe pick this up quickly for an Lr 9.1 update
#6 Gunther
Yes, the LR export currently ignores any settings from external modules, not only file type, but also quality settings etc.

But you can use my simple Preset provided above, and just set the export type to Jpg, then you can choose the quality etc for now.

Update: I've also added a JPG preset to the download above.
#7 Vlaak
Thanks for directing me to this thread Gunther. I have subscribed to the newsletter as you suggested. I've been planning to update to version 5 anyway so I'll probably do that next week when I get home. As a software engineer myself I'm always amazed deeply appreciative at your fast responses here. I know how annoying it can be dealing with someone else's bugs affecting your product :-)

Anyway, thanks for the workaround suggestion above.
#8 Ken Toney
Hoping you can get a fix with Adobe soon!
#9 Gunther
I've released a new version of LRTimelapse. Of course, I cannot fix adobes bug, but I've added the Workaround Presets, in order to make it more convenient, see: https://lrtimelapse.com/news/lightroom-9...rt-plugin/
#10 pizzi109
I updated to LR 9 only minutes before seeing the message in the LRT update. Did a quick workaround. It's a three-click operation to roll back LR to its previous version in the Adobe Creative Cloud app. Click 1: Uninstall. Click 2: Other Versions. Click 3: Choose the previous version.

Not elegant, but easy. I was in a hurry.

...also check out: