• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Timelapse, Beijing, Teipei and Indonesia

#1 Stefan
Hey guys,

I need some feedback for my last 2 timelapse-projects (Am liebsten auch von dir Gunther!)

First Part from Beijing and Taipeh
http://stefanuhlmannphotography.blogspot...eipeh.html

and 2nd part from Indonesia:
http://stefanuhlmannphotography.blogspot...esien.html

What can I improve next time? b.t.w. I can't afford a slider or even a new cam, so this is not an option ;-)

thanks a lot

Stefan
#2 Gunther
Hi Stefan, nice location you picked out there!

Some suggestions for improvements like you asked for:
  • Are you shooting JPG? You should definitely go for RAW if your cam supports it.
  • Some sequences (especially in the beginning suffer because the cam automatically changes exposure. Certainly you could try to deflicker them a bit better in LRTimelapse
  • When shooting next time make sure the cam stands rock solid! There are a couple of sequences where you have cam-movements. A gorillapod is definitely no tripod and not suited for time lapse ;-)
  • try making longer exposures, go for a ND-filter if necessary. The buch of people moving are very "stakkato" - longer exposures have the additional benefit of smearing the resulting video a little bit making it easier for the compressor to avoid artefakts. Especially in the beginning you have some sequences where quick changes in the overal dynamic of the images causes the compressor huge problems and you see the quality of the video suffer. Try keeping everything smoother...
Keep up the otherwise good job, these are only some tips for further improvement!

Ahh... and one last thing: go for a music under CC-license to avoid getting any trouble...

Best regards
Gunther
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Marc
Hi Stefan,
regarding the Bejing movie: I think timelapse videos showing only people moving aren't very special. There is no difference in the light and most of the shots didn't show any clouds.
For example it would be much more interesting, if you show people, when a place starts with only a few people and than it fills up until it is crowded...

Kind regards
Marc
#4 Stefan
Hey Guys, thanks for your feedback.

here some answers for your "questions":

- I'm shooting in Raw (of course ;-))
- I used LRTIMELAPSE to deflicker the sequences.
- I shooted every single image in M-Mode
- I used a very steady Manfrotto Travel Tripod (Gorillapod sucks for this job, I tried this)
- but I've never tried a longer exposure time or even a ND-Filter. Is this blurry-Effekt really better? I will try it next time.
- isn't the music taken from an artist ok as long as you mention him in the video and youtube got the agreement (and advertisement) from the distributer?

and thanks Marc for your Tipp. You are absolutely right. A place starting to fill up would be better. Unfortunately I've never seen the forbidden city empty.

Again thanks for your tips and thanks for your great Program Gunther. I will improve my timelapse videos in the future.

best regards
Stefan
#5 Gunther

Quote:- isn't the music taken from an artist ok as long as you mention him in the video and youtube got the agreement (and advertisement) from the distributer?

No, normally not. This only applies to Music unter CC-License. In many countries (including Germany) videos with commercial music are being automatically blocked by youtube.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.

...also check out: