• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Timelapse not smooth, jerky.

#1 philnormanphoto
Ok so here is the thing.
I am asking for help, because I have a very short time to master time-lapse before going to Everest Base Camp in just 3 weeks.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Please look at the video links below...
Two Questions:
1. Is this level of banding/artifacts in the blue sky typical for a 720p Pro video export?

2. You will notice the videos are a little jerky. The 24 and 25 fps videos are not good, the 30fps a little better but still not silky smooth as I would like them. Please advise how I can improve this. Is there something wrong with my (new) intervalometer? Is it my interval is too short, is it the shutter speed is too fast or both? This does not seem to be an exposure problem!

Please see video titles for export settings.
Camera capture settings (manual exp):
Cloud 01: 1/60sec f/14 aperture locked via twist lens method. Intervalometer interval 1sec.
Cloud 02: 1/25sec f/16 aperture locked via twist lens method. Intervalometer interval 1sec.

Clouds 01 - 24fps
Clouds 01 - 30fps
Clouds 02 - 25fps
Clouds 02 - 30fps

Many many thanks for helping this beginner needing a very fast learning curve!
Cheers

PS My first experiences with LRTimelapse have been excellent. Thanks Gunther
#2 Gunther
Hi Phil,
the PRO templates export with very High bit rates normaly not meant to be uploaded to Vimeo or YT directly. You never know hat the online platforms do to your video. Normally you would like to import the clips rendered from Lightroom in a video editor for cutting etc. and then export in a bitrate (max. 10MBps) that Vimeo will natively acceppt.
If you try this please take care that the frame rates are exactly the same in the whole chain of editing: starting in Lightroom (Slideshow Template and Video Template), Video Project and Video Export frame rate!

I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with your intervalometer or the raw images capured it's more a matter of post processing. So you can shoot relaxed and take care of those things when you are back from your expedition.

Best
Gunther
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 philnormanphoto
Thanks Gunther,

I have noticed that when I am in LRT and I play the timelapse in the preview window, it is jerky there, and every time I play it, it is different, the jerks are in different places, and sometimes there are big jerks and sometimes it is almost smooth (but not perfect)?
#4 Gunther
This might be a performance issue on your computer. The LRTimelapse preview is not meant to give a silky smooth result, it's just a preview!
#5 Faust
Gunther,

I am having the "jerky" issue with clouds even after applying deflicker and refining.  Is this do to my slow computer (2011 13" Macbookpro with 16 gb of ram?  Is this a processing issue?  The playback in the preview is ok.  Would taking the video to a video editor like Final cut help?

Thank you!
#6 Gunther
Maybe you are using a bad player. Quicktime for example is not really good. On your old mac you might as well try using sRGB export from LRTExport (advanced settings). You computer might have less problems playing that back.
Of course editing in a video editor and then exporting with lower bitrates might help as well.
#7 Faust
Hello Gunther,

It could be my player am not sure.  Have tried VLC and Elmedia players. VLC seemed to worse than Elmedia.  It could be my SLOW computer?  Am updating this in March.  Attached is a video that I produced with the following settings in manual mode.  Interval 5 seconds @ F16 aperture, ISO 200 - maybe too slow of interval?

h264-420-3k_24_HQ

Note:  Tried sending the video as an attachment but things just crash.  Could be the Mexico internet I am using.  Will try using sRGB as an export and see if this helps.  Thank you!!

...also check out: