• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Timelapse render with overlapping frames

#1 scott@on-sight.com
I've been experimenting with techniques that allow me to overlap several frames simultaneously and am really liking the results but yearn for a less labor intensive way of creating these.

So, traditionally frame 1 fades into frame 2, and then frame 2 fade into frame 3, etc and at any one moment you'll see 2 overlapping frames. But if we change this so that we see 3 or 5 or 7 overlapping frames at the same time the end results can be surprisingly beautiful, more dreamy and less jerky. Would love to see LRTimelapse make this easier for us!
Scott Martin
www.martinphoto.com
#2 yannick_c
Hi Scott,

If you work with After Effects, it can be easily done adding an Echo effect (maybe that's how you've done it). You can then select how many echos you want, the duration, fading, ... That way, it's not that long to do. It works well for doing start trails in a timelapse for exemple. "Pixel Motion Blur" effect is also a good way to prevent jerkyness (must be quite similar I think to the new "Motion Blur Plus" effect in LRTimelapse)

Yannick
#3 scott@on-sight.com
Yannick, yes I've played with that but prefer a technique that uses FCPX and Motion but it's hugely time consuming. I'd love to be able to do this without AE (or FCPX) thus the feature suggestion here.
Scott Martin
www.martinphoto.com
#4 Gunther
Did you try the LRTimelapse "Motion Blur Plus" - it's basically some of those techniques combined, but delivers better results then After Effects filters.
http://lrtimelapse.com/news/lrt-motion-b...emo-video/
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#5 scott@on-sight.com
Hey Gunter! Yes, I have used "LRT Plus Motion Blur" but find it inadequate for my purposes. While it appears to work fairly well for traditional 24+ fps sequences, I specialize in ultra slow sequences that often play at 1 fps or slower and require exquisite transitions.

Try making a video at 1/16th speed using LRT Plus Motion Blur. Not only is this not slow enough for my purposes, you'll notice that it's actually super jerky and not smooth at all between frames. start, stop. start, stop. start, stop. start, stop, etc.

I think this is an area that could use some innovation. There are lots of possibilities here, both for slow and fast sequences...
Scott Martin
www.martinphoto.com
#6 Gunther
That's forsure not the purpose of MBP. It's meant to be used for time lapse processing, not super/interpolated slow motion... ;-)
What you need then is a sophisticated tool like twixtor.
#7 scott@on-sight.com
I have Twixtor but that's not the look I'm going for. I'm not doing slow motion - I'm doing timelapse - just with slower playback.

Again, try rendering a video with LRTL at 1/16th speed and you'll see the jerkiness I'm speaking of. I think if you can smooth that out even your faster 24fps sequences will look better.
Scott Martin
www.martinphoto.com
#8 scott@on-sight.com
Check out my buddy Aaron Grimes's video: https://vimeo.com/83894451 It's an example of over exaggerated overlapping frames but you get the point. I've found overlapping only 3-7 frames at a time to be really nice for timelapse sequences - slow or fast.
Scott Martin
www.martinphoto.com
#9 Gunther
The slow down in the LRTimelapse render module just works by repeating frames and does not combine well with MBP.
The effect you are looking for cannot be done "out of the box" in LRTimelapse, it's based on heavy post processing in a video editor like after effects.

...also check out: