• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Timelapse with RAW-photos from iPhone

#1 DJC5
My iPhone 14 Pro can shoot in RAW-Format an can produce DNG-files. Although each file (8064x6048 pixel) is about 75 MB large, I can fit 5000 files on my 512 GB phone. But how can I run the trigger for 1-2 hours? In a first test, I used the camera-app on my Apple Watch but after pressing the shutter button on the Watch 100 times, I got bored. And the time between two shots varied a lot. There are remote controls to release the shutter via bluetooth, but I didn't find one with a timer. Or is it a stupid idea anyway. I use Lightroom, Photoshop and Final Cut. I love, that I can zoom to 400% and still get FullHD (1080p) videos. Otherwise, I never used the 48 Megapixel photos for anything else.

Peter
#2 mopperle
Hmm, and what got this to do with LRTimelapse? Maybe you better ask this question in an iPhone forum?
Gruß/regards

Otto
#3 Gunther
Moved to the shooting forum.

I don't know, if such exists... But search for an intervalometer app that can trigger the iPhone while shooting raw.

Personally, I'd rather recommend to shoot timelapse with a "real" camera. It will be way less hassle and you will get much better results, even with a cheap used DSLR than with any phone.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#4 Cymro
Try "Skyflow – Time-lapse shooting", an IOS App that should do what you want. You can shoot in RAW and then export the RAW .dng files to your PC and then use LRTimelapse in all its glory.
#5 DJC5
@Mopperle you are completely right and I'm glad, that Gunther move it to the appropriate Forum, that I didn't see in the first place.

I wrote this after I spent a couple of hours searching the web. But as soon, as it goes about smartphones and timelaps, everybody is looking for an app, that produces a finished video. I want to take hundreds of RAW photos (75MB each) and use Lightroom and LRTimelapse. I hoped I would find timelapse-people here, that seriously think about using the 48 Megapixels of an iPhone 14 like me.
#6 DJC5
Hi @Gunther,
thanks for moving my post! I'm not really a Newbie but I lost my credentials and just created a new account. I found old E-Mails from 2015, when I used LRTimelapse. At that time, I used a Canon EOS 1D Mark IV. I know, that a smartphone will never replace a DSLR with a big sensor but I want to find out, where the limits are.

And it seems possible at least during the daytime.

Peter
#7 DJC5
Hi Cymro,
thanks for mentioning Skyflow. I installed it but it looks like there is an export-limit to 4K even in the full (paid) version. My iPhone can shoot 8K Raw and that's what I want to use. I could zoom to 560% and still get 1080p
#8 Unsub
As the sensors in the new phones are getting better and better, I really would love to have a backup timelapse solution always on the go. Especially since I almost always carry a mobile tripod with me as well. I'm surprised no one has developed anything more "professional" for time lapse use, i.e. with ramping options etc. as with qDLSRDashboard.

Skyflow seems to be abbandoned. ProCamera seems to be the only option that's being updated, but the intervalometer options on it look quite limited, looking at the info available. Does anyone have any hands on experience on ProCamera before I waste my money on it?
#9 mopperle
I like ProCamera very much but never did a timelapse. For this purpose I use a "real" camera.
If you are a native German speaker, there is a free Book in the Apple Bookstore and on their website are a lot of tutorials
Gruß/regards

Otto

...also check out: