• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thread Closed

Timer TL (Extended)

#1 Chumby
Hi Gunther,

Been a long time owner of LRTimelapse and now just purchasd LRT Pro Timer. Well done on all your work.

Just a feature request for the Timer. Perhaps a new mode Timer TL (Advanced). (The timer for me is why purchased this device).

1) Be able to set a start time AND finish time - no need to worry about how many shots you may need in a certain time.

2) Daily Timers: Have a function where I can set and a number of timers to go off in a 24hr period on the day - say for example sunrise for 2hrs in the morning (6am -8am) and sunset for 2hrs at night (6pm - 8pm). Use the start and stop times as per above feature 1.

3) Repeat Daily Timer function. Be able to repaeat the "Daily Timers" feature for any number of days (ie. Saturday and Sunday).

So in my scenario - I could go out into the bush on a three day camp. Set up a fixed camera to capture the sunrise and sunset for the three days I am there without me having to do anything else (as long as I manage the battery life with battery packs and have enough storage) and I can go walking with a small camera and take other photos. At the end of the camp, I just download all the images and create potentially six good timelapses for this scenario.

What do you think? Just a little more code to write Wink

Cheers,
Chumby
#2 Gunther
Thanks for your idea, you are not the first to request a mode for periodic shooting, see https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-fea...-timelapse for example.

The good news is that I'm on it. In the first step it will be possible to shoot a periodic timelapse by defining start and end time of the day. That will allow you to shoot from 8am-6pm for example every day.

Yet I've not planned to allow more than one time frame, mainly because it would complicate setup and I'm convinced, that not many people would use more than one time frame.

Is your scenario really realistic? I never shoot a "Holy Grail" transition without being on site. I'd need to choose the right framing (six equal framed timelapse would be quite boring, I guess), I'd need to setup qDsrDashboard, and even with that controlling the camera, I still monitor the camera from time to time in order to be safe to get perfect results.

Shooting those transitions in A mode, of course would be possible, but mostly likely it wouldn't deliver "potentially six good timelapses" as you say.

Ambitious Timelapse photography is always a bit dedication also. If great sequences were done just by setting up a camera and leaving it alone, they wouldn't be worth so much anymore ;-)

And btw: implementing such features is not only "just a little more code to write" - just to give you an idea: the "basic" Periodic TL Shooting was 2 full days coding and additionally a lot of testing. Software development is not only about what's technically possible, but also about people will understand the features and be ably to control them. :-)

That's why I carefully check what's the scenario that the majority of users would use before I start implementing something.
Subscribe to: LRTimelapse Newsletter, Youtube Channel, Instagram, Facebook.
#3 Chumby
Hi Gunther,

Thanks for the reply - yes I understand writing code is not that easy or fast and you are right getting it workable is the key! My comment was based on the amount of code you must of already completed to get to this stage! Very impressive.

In the back of my mind when I requested the above, I was also thinking about my cousin who is a professional photographer. He has done pleny of timelapses for construction - showing the development of buildings rising up. He had his camera set up in a room looking towards the construction site and every morning/night he would have to go in and start stop his camera taking images. This was for a couple of weeks at a time - so in this situation having his camera automated for timelapse would be a godsend. He was not interested in the Holy Grail or the like - but just had to show what progress had been made....

So maybe another use / type of cusotmer there....

Looking forward to any developments at all in this area.

Cheers,
Chumby.
#4 Gunther
Yeah, sure, that's what this feature is mainly aimed to. But that would be olny one time slot per day also, as I have planned it. Currently I don't really see the need for more than one time slot, that was what I was trying to say... :-)
#5 Gunther
Here is a beta with the requested feature implemented, please test and give me feedback (preferrably in that beta thread).
https://forum.lrtimelapse.com/Thread-fir...e-feedback

...also check out: